Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garbage Text Characters on MCU Display - Fix??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Padelford

Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Seattle
In the process of trying to recover voice command capabilities, I double-scroll-wheel rebooted the MCU. This didn’t help voice commands, but now I see garbage text characters in the Nav and owners manual displays:

View media item 119503
Powering down the whole vehicle and restarting doesn’t stop the garbage text characters. Has anyone had this happen, and what was the fix? I have an SC appointment Monday. Thanks!

Did you step on the brake when you did the reboot? Either way reboot it again, both scroll wheels and brake pedal. I do this after the car gets any update.
I was not aware that steppping on the brake pedal was part of the vehicle reboot procedure. I’ve successfully rebooted my S and then X multiple times over the years without using my “boots”. ;)

I was not aware that steppping on the brake pedal was part of the vehicle reboot procedure. I’ve successfully rebooted my S and then X multiple times over the years without using my “boots”. ;)

My understand is there are two levels of restarts. Without the brake pedal is display level only. With brake pedal is power system, suspension and brake systems, and display functions. At least this is what the Tesla phone support guy told me when I was stuck in a parking lot.

• Informative
Reactions: Padelford