TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Garden Tools and Other Polluters

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by neroden, May 18, 2012.

1. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

The benefit from replacing gas trimmers with electric trimmers is massive; apparently those little tiny gas engines on lawn trimmers are horrendously inefficient and extremely polluting. There is no reason for anyone to use a gas trimmer any more; even if you have a huge amount of lawn to trim, it's more efficient to buy a few extra battery packs for your electric trimmer.

Which reminds me. I saw the city government using gas trimmers in the park. I need to go talk to someone about how they really ought to switch to electric.

Edit: topic about electric gardening tools, perhaps? :)

2. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

My 6 wheeler could be the ultimate battery powered gardening tool, converted from a two stroke :biggrin: I do haul dirt and stones with it sometimes. I'm working on converting a lawn tractor with a loader now.

3. richkae

richkae VIN587

To keep abusing the garden tool thread a bit.... if I were king one of the first things I would do is outlaw leaf blowers. How many times have you seen - and heard - one of those things blowing six leaves off an otherwise clean sidewalk. I swear that for the one time in ten that they actually save labor over a broom or rake they are totally not worth it.
    I don't know if i hate the noise or the pollution most but I hate those things with the hate of a thousand red hot burning suns.

4. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Well I don't have a leaf blower, because I find them annoying and wasteful, but raking my yard would be a whole lot easier with one.

5. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Sometimes I use my shop vac with the hose on the output side, works pretty well.

6. sprediletto

sprediletto Member

I use my electric leaf blower to dry off the Roadster after washing. I took my car to a "professional detailer" at my office last year and he left swirl marks in the clear coat. After repairing the damage, I'm paranoid about drying off the car; even using the towels I bought from Griots. It does the trick and the car get completely dry. It is especially effective in getting the water out of the hard to reach places around lights, mirrors and spoiler. Has anyone else tried this?

7. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

I'll have to try the electric leaf blower as a car dryer. That sounds like it might be alot easier than hand drying anyways certainly going to be easier on my old back.

8. SByer

SByer '08 #383

All the time. Standard step in a car wash for me now.

9. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator