TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Gardening Equipment Not Quite There Yet

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Kandiru, May 15, 2016.

1. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

So my Kubota workhorse is going on for 15 years with loving driveway maintenance on our 1 acre property, 60" deck and snow blade with chains in winter.

I am eyeing current equipment for a replacement but I am disappointed.

So far only Cub Cadet makes a riding electric mower, but with non-Li-ion batteriesa nd 40" deck, will not push snow.

The push mowers look more promising but still only 21" from EgoPower with the 7.5Ah battery as leader.

Only the snow blowers seem to be winners, especially if you grab a brushless Snow Joe core tool (interestingly the battery fitted ones have basic motors) and retrofit it with a 5Ah battery.

What I need is reliable summer/winter machine with batteries that will last.

Anyone know of new developments?

2. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Location (x3) . . .

Get a used 4x4 tractor with a blown engine. Add used storage batteries (48-72v) that power a used electric forklift motor (with controller). Forget the snow blower, just plow in low low gear. Wheel weights and/or salt water in the tires will help traction.
    --

• Helpful x 1
  3. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

I know, YouTube is loaded with examples. In 30 years when I retire I may do just that.

4. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

I'm keeping an eye out for electric / cordless tools as well. My wish is a compact tractor some day (as well as property on which i need a tractor - it's a long term thing :)).

One idea in the mower department is Mean Green commercial mowers.
    Home

I haven't seen a snow pusher attachment, but for cutting grass, they range from riding mowers to powered walk behind. They are all about the commercial landscaper, so on the spendy side, but looks to me like state of the art for lithium cordless mowers.

5. electracity

electracity Active Member

For a big lawn, two robotic mowers would probably work.

A riding mower that also worked like a powerwall would be interesting.

6. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

I've been happy with the Kobalt 80V equipment I've bought from Lowes, plan to get their mower next. They're rebadged Greenworks, who have some additional 80V items snowblower and hedge trimmer.

Do note that even though they're the same equipment, the battery packs are shaped slightly differently so you can't mix and match between the two. Wish you could as I'd have liked to get the hedge trimmer - instead I picked up the attachment to use with the trimmer.

7. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

One thing I've been pleased about in this area, is how rapidly it is advancing. Seems like ~5 years ago, it was 20v and 40v equipment was state of the art in cordless, and that was marginal at best for gardening equipment. I was thrilled when I got a 56v string trimmer and figured I would accumulate it's bits and pieces from Home Depot 2 years ago. When I go back into the market for a mower, I plan today to get their 56v cordless mower.

Now we have 80v gear out, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get 120v cordless in the next year or 2. As a semi-educated outsider, it looks to me like the small gas engine / suburban gardening equipment is being rapidly overtaken by cordless on the functionality side, with a few more years to get the prices down to also be price competitive.

8. thelastdeadmouse

I bought several pieces of the Greenworks 40v max set and I've been mostly happy with them. I have a push mower, string trimmer, digipro leaf blower, and both the 12" and the 16" digipro chainsaw. The 12" chainsaw is garbage, don't bother, but the 16" one is great. Cuts at about the same speed as a gas powered 16" saw with basically no maintenance. Same with the string trimmer. I wish the blower had a bit more power, but still works well. I also wish the mower was a bit wider but its very quiet and light weight compared to a gas mower and works well.

I have two chargers and a few batteries, so no matter how much yard work I do with any combination of tools in a day as long as I put batteries on a charger as soon as they're empty I never run out. I have a 1 acre wooded lot with probably around half an acre of grass and will use 2-3 batteries in the mower for the whole lot depending on how long or wet the grass is.