Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gas car parked at a Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sigh... My road trip this weekend through Wisconsin featured ICE'd superchargers at every one. The worst was this guy, was barely able to squeeze in.
View attachment 96946

Looks like there's plenty of room on the back side. I'd have no qualms about driving on that grass and reaching the cable from the other side.

On the other two parking lot examples, chargers that require pulling front in rather than backing in can be used if you block two ICE cars by backing up the it perpendicular to the ICE cars.

Basically reach the cable any way you can.

- - - Updated - - -

The other day I had to wait for 3 hrs for a person to move his car at Tesla Destination parking at a hotel in Las Colinas, Texas. The hotel could not do anything about it because they did not to whom the car belonged.

They have this thing called a tow truck.

Reactions: Evee
Sigh... My road trip this weekend through Wisconsin featured ICE'd superchargers at every one. The worst was this guy, was barely able to squeeze in.
View attachment 96946

Also, this reminds me I need to start a contest thread for the first time a Model X with a trailer blocks other supercharger stalls. Especially the new ones configured to allow pulling in and out forwards, like the Petaluma one... Sorry, slightly off-topic, but we should be the last ones to block stalls. And it has happened with Model S.
We should have a name for the X plus trailer combo blocking a stall...
Back to your regular programming!

This is another reason why setting up SCs almost exclusively on land shared with malls and restaurants can be problematic. ICEing will continue, be it by mistake, because of lack of parking spaces or purely out of spite.
I say throw in some rest areas, national parks, natural stopping points with a view along major highways, etc.
My limited experience with SCs in CA and Oregon shows that there are plenty of areas where I would have loved to charge that are not malls.

The preferred location has a place for food and drink and restrooms. I'm sure eventually the parks and such will get destination chargers, but most are probably too far off the highway travel routes to be practical Supercharger locations.

Another way to get around the ICEing problem, putting these spots at the back of the lot.

People in general are lazy as hell, you're less likely to have the masses taking up EV spots if they're in the back.

This is definitely a good solution, although there are sometimes issues where getting the power to those locations involve significant extra cost. Also, the early sales pitch on the Supercharger siting was probably increased traffic to businesses, so the business wanted it closer to their doors.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, this reminds me I need to start a contest thread for the first time a Model X with a trailer blocks other supercharger stalls. Especially the new ones configured to allow pulling in and out forwards, like the Petaluma one... Sorry, slightly off-topic, but we should be the last ones to block stalls. And it has happened with Model S.

I'll do this when I get my MX. But only when it is not busy and I can stay with the vehicle.

Not a supercharger, but at our Ikea that now has EV chargers installed, this car was spotted trying to 'get in on the fun'.
12088566_10156208711840389_9155193799693710973_n.jpg

12046709_10156208711835389_3304174834414081127_n.jpg

The is no indication that the charger/plug was damaged from the heat of his engine, but that is certainly a fear of this type of behavior.

Burlington, WA this past August. Got all 8, fortunately they moved after we inquired at the hotel front desk. They were apologetic, but there were other spots they could have parked.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 199
The preferred location has a place for food and drink and restrooms. I'm sure eventually the parks and such will get destination chargers, but most are probably too far off the highway travel routes to be practical Supercharger locations
How about rest stops along highways? Those are everywhere, and they have bathrooms, which we have all used. And they often have a snack/coffee stand and local tourist information.
I stopped at plenty of those on our recent road trip (in an ICE) to stretch my legs, and did not care to go in town for an actual meal. Stopping at rest areas every two hours or less is standard fare for us, and we would stay about 20 minutes. Had we been supercharging at the same time, it would have been perfect!
Rest area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wow, the trucks and uHauls parking across all the stalls. That's pretty bold. The Honda just made me laugh!

I agree the SC stalls and other charging stations should be out-of-the-way to reduce temptation to park there. Also, it doesn't promote goodwill between ICE drivers and EVs when EVs get premier parking... it probably reinforces certain stereotypes, like EV owners feeling superior or entitled.

Reactions: erik_k
Well, yes... but the reason these stations are usually "front and center" is because that is closer to the building and hence closer to the building's electrical supply. Running cabling can be the most expensive part of installing charging stations.

This also makes sense. No easy solutions, I guess. Maybe eventually, as EVs become more and more common, people will be more accepting/educated and behave themselves. If a non-handicapped person parks in a marked spot, citizens are sometimes openly disapproving - which makes it much less appealing to sneak in there. Maybe soon we'll see this positive type of peer pressure begin to emerge from the public in general, in behalf of EV owners?

Our most local SC, San Marcos, puts the stalls reasonably close to the building, but in a back parking lot behind the mall. It's not inconvenient, but definitely doesn't feel privileged either. I think it's a good balance where possible to employ.

Wait... We aren't superior or entitled? [emoji12]
Shhhh. It's probably best that we not say that out loud.

Seriously, though - some of these ICE parkers have some balls. I've honestly only used SCs a few times and each time they were pretty empty because they were in remote locations of the parking lot. I did, however, like how virtually everyTesla owner give each other a little nod of acknowledgement - akin to people who don't know each other personally but are members of the same national fraternity.

I wonder what people would think if some future Model X owner would park its car and its trailer right in front of a gas station spots...?

The other day I had to wait for 3 hrs for a person to move his car at Tesla Destination parking at a hotel in Las Colinas, Texas. The hotel could not do anything about it because they did not to whom the car belonged.

Finally this person shows up to take his car.

I approached him and told him I was waiting for 3 hrs for him to move the car and he said he did not know what those parking signs meant..???

I don't know how difficult it is to read "Tesla Parking" sign

Here on the West Coast it's inconceivable anyone has not heard of Tesla (I've yet to run into anyone who hasn't, and 90% of those who have want one). But I was in a thread with someone else from Texas a few weeks ago who said people are always approaching his car wondering what it is. Based on that conversation, I'm not too surprised there are some people in the US who don't know what a Tesla is and don't understand what the signs and SCs are about. However, if I encountered something in a parking lot I didn't understand and a sign saying the spot was reserved for something other than some category I fit, I would not park there unless there were no other spots.

Tesla could very easily go a long way towards fixing this problem, they just need to replace those ridiculous and completely useless red signs with the appropriate no parking except for EV charging signs, with a picture of a tow truck at the bottom, and then start towing.

People won't make the same mistake again.