Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gas prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, so basically the limited NG pipeline capacity exposes New England utilities to volatility in the oil market. But there is a lag induced by forward contracts that puts them currently high at a time when has recently dropped. It sounds like the utilities are doing a poor job at hedging their exposure to oil. Of course, if they can simply push off the cost of a poor hedge onto ratepayers, they may have little incentive to do otherwise. Do you think this could be an opportunity for rooftop solar and other distributed power to step in?
The utilities in most New England states are prohibited by law from hedging. Customers have retail choice, and if you want long-term stable rates, you're supposed to find a retail supplier who will do that hedging for you. This absolutely opens the door to more distributed generation (PV, CHP, etc.). I'm having the my building owner over to drinks soon to have the conversation about installing roof-top solar, and it will be a much easier conversation today than it would have been six months ago.

The electricity price increase in New England is driven by the very high electricity prices from last year during the Polar Vortex. (Retail prices are locked in by annual auctions, and forward markets were pricing 2015 winter power with a strong memory of the 2014 prices.) 2014 prices were high because (a) oil prices were high, and oil distillates are used as the marginal fuel in New England, and (b) natural gas supply is constrained by inadequate pipeline connections to New York. Cause (a) is being rectified by the Saudis. Cause (b) is being rectified by planned pipeline upgrades, albeit not for a few years yet. So, I do think we'll see New England power prices return to more usual levels.

And of course, as you previously explained (b) is caused by well-meaning, but inflexible regulation.

Government wants people to replace oil with natural gas heat or heat pumps (which could be powered by electricity produced from natural gas).
Government wants less pollution from electricity.
Government wants more renewable electricity.
People want to replace expensive oil heat.

Unfortunately in this case "Look at the signs! Look at the signs!" is not considered proof of financial viability.

Maine Public Utilities Commission
Next MPUC meetings 1/6 and 1/13.

Hopefully we'll get the news on all the electricity pricing soon. I dropped TOU standard offer supply before the winter price jump and you have to decide whether to be TOU again (from March 1st) by the end of January. (I'm still TOU distribution).

I'm also thinking that given higher prices and Maine's generous net metering rules, PV could be a viable option.

Back on topic:
I don't know that this drop will send people rushing headlong to guzzlers. Leasing is around 1/4 of the US new car market, and I'd expect lessees to be more swayed by gas price trends. And low gas prices also allows people to defer efficiency. Needs more data.

Last edited:
I just need to make one correction. Our electricity prices just went up by 37% in November. I was hoping it was just the distribution, but no; the whole bill. 23.5/kWh. I know eventually gas will go back up, but I can drive a gas car for less than the Tesla now. So you can't count on electricity prices to be that stable either. I do not expect it to come back down.
I am on a municipal power company, so the following doesn't apply to me (our rates have not risen in a while and are not expected to - I pay $0.17/kWh*).

As I understand it, MA requires investor owned utilities to put the default offer service out to bid every 6 months, and take the lowest bid. This bidding occurs around Nov and May. Based on last year's cold temps, high electric demand, and shortage of natural gas for the power plants (who get last dibs after home heating and have to pay spot pricing), the bids came back unusually high, on expectations of similar conditions this winter.

I suspect that (a) with the warm conditions we've had so far, power generators have made a killing at these rates, and (b) when the pricing is re-bid in May after the heating season is over, it should return to normal.

* But all is not roses in muni land - I have no TOU options, and we don't get net metering. They pay me the generation rate ($0.08/kWh) for excess I feed into the grid and charge me $0.17 ("We buy @ wholesale and sell @ retail).

Back on topic:
I don't know that this drop will send people rushing headlong to guzzlers. Leasing is around 1/4 of the US new car market, and I'd expect lessees to be more swayed by gas price trends. And low gas prices also allows people to defer efficiency. Needs more data.

Lessors need to be wary of financing gas guzzlers. Used guzzlers may good prices now, but three years from now when gas prices are high again the residual value may strain current assumptions. Lessors are effectively short on gas, but I am not so sure that banks are savvy enough to price that exposure.

The utilities in most New England states are prohibited by law from hedging. Customers have retail choice, and if you want long-term stable rates, you're supposed to find a retail supplier who will do that hedging for you. This absolutely opens the door to more distributed generation (PV, CHP, etc.). I'm having the my building owner over to drinks soon to have the conversation about installing roof-top solar, and it will be a much easier conversation today than it would have been six months ago.

Good luck on solar negotiations.

I'm wondering if this falling oil environment might actually be a savvy time to invest in solar lessors/installers that have access to overpriced electricity markets. It is ironic that at a time when investors count out solar due to low oil prices, there may actually be distortions like this that installers can seize upon. Any thoughts on investment plays?

I am on a municipal power company, so the following doesn't apply to me (our rates have not risen in a while and are not expected to - I pay $0.17/kWh*).

As I understand it, MA requires investor owned utilities to put the default offer service out to bid every 6 months, and take the lowest bid. This bidding occurs around Nov and May. Based on last year's cold temps, high electric demand, and shortage of natural gas for the power plants (who get last dibs after home heating and have to pay spot pricing), the bids came back unusually high, on expectations of similar conditions this winter.

I suspect that (a) with the warm conditions we've had so far, power generators have made a killing at these rates, and (b) when the pricing is re-bid in May after the heating season is over, it should return to normal.

* But all is not roses in muni land - I have no TOU options, and we don't get net metering. They pay me the generation rate ($0.08/kWh) for excess I feed into the grid and charge me $0.17 ("We buy @ wholesale and sell @ retail).

Then you need an AC Coupled battery backup system with a solar array so that your excess in the daytime recharges the batteries, then you use the power from your batteries at night. Also depending on when your Tesla is at home you could schedule your charging so that it comes from the solar array in the day time.

(On a side note I have sold solar systems to people that are paying 8-9 cents for their electric.)

American Drivers Could Save Up To $75 Billion On Fuel In 2015: AAA The interesting question is where this savings will go. This could be huge economic stimulus. Some of this boost will flow into roomier and higher performance vehicles, a category that includes the Model S and Model X. Tesla stands to benefit from the economic stimulus that OPEC is graciously bestowing upon the world.
It's even bigger than it sounds. There's a multiplier effect, probably 4x to 5x, on incremental purchases triggered by this windfall. Given Americans' horrible track record in saving, I'd assume that effectively all of this $75 B will be spent, effectively adding > $300 B to economic activity.

On the other hand, there will be some parts of the economy hit, hard, by this price decrease. On net, though, this price decrease is really good news for the U.S. economy and even for Tesla. As JHM points out, extra wealth is extra wealth, and people will spend it across all products.

It's even bigger than it sounds. There's a multiplier effect, probably 4x to 5x, on incremental purchases triggered by this windfall. Given Americans' horrible track record in saving, I'd assume that effectively all of this $75 B will be spent, effectively adding > $300 B to economic activity.

On the other hand, there will be some parts of the economy hit, hard, by this price decrease. On net, though, this price decrease is really good news for the U.S. economy and even for Tesla. As JHM points out, extra wealth is extra wealth, and people will spend it across all products.

I wonder if the losses in the US oil industry have the impact of reducing the multiplier effect so that in stead of 4x to 5x, we're looking at 2x to 4x. Even so, this is pretty big stimulus.

Some people have compared this to a tax reduction and argue that the stimulus should be higher than a $75B tax cut. The reason is that the gas savings is well spread out across economic strata. By comparison, tax breaks mostly favor those who highest taxes, so a tax break is concentrated among families least likely to spend all of it. So I would expect that most of the gas price savings will be spent immediately, which in turn may yield a strong multiplier effect.

Additionally, low oil will reduce the costs of all sorts of goods and services across the economy. Tesla as a manufacturer will no doubt share in this.

The US consumes about 19 million barrels of oil per day, close to 8 billion barrels per year. So a $30 reduction from $90/bbl to $60 is an aggregate savings of about $240B. AAA accounts for only $75B for consumers at pump. The other savings of $165B, then must accrue to industry and government. The savings to industry, then, may translate into lower prices for goods and services; while the savings to government helps to balance budgets. I would expect there is some sort of multiplier effect to these savings as well. For kicks, let's suppose that the savings to government is $75B and has a 1x multiplier, savings to industry $90B with 3x, and savings to consumers at the pump $75B with 4x. Altogether that would be a $645B increase in economic activity.

This economic stimulus may only last a year or two. However, much longer term, say 20 years out, EVs may have a strong enough presence in new car market that EV force arbitrage pricing on the oil market permanemtly driving the oil of oil down to parity with electricity, which in turn is bounded above by the low cost of solar and batteries. Thus, the price for oil is driven down below $25/bbl in today's dollar. Basically, oil drops this low or people buy only EVs until damand falls down to this level. Central to all this is the declining cost of batteries which basically facilitate arbitrage across all energy markets allowing the lowest cost fuels, renewables, to dominate. So at this point the stimulative effect of a lower cost of oil are structurally locked in.

I don't think we're there yet. Right now I thing OPEC simply wants to defend market share from other oil producers. But in the long run, oil will lose market share to renewable electricity mediated by batteries. This is why the Gigafactory is so important. The best use of the current oil price war should be to lower the cost of manufacturing batteries, EVs, and renrenewable energy devices. Make them cheap today, and they will generate energy dividends for decades.Low oil prices are not an occasion to pull back from investing in renewable. Just the opposite, it is the time to double down the investment and lock in low manufacturing costs. Hopefully, we'll see a solid boost to the economy which on balance will support demand for Tesla's products while the cost of supplying those goods is down too. Cheap oil can, and I believe will, improve both demand for and supply of Tesla's products. $645B is a huge windfall for the US economy, and Tesla stands to be as much a beneficiary of that windfall as any company that makes desirable consumer goods.

The other savings of $165B, then must accrue to industry and government. The savings to industry, then, may translate into lower prices for goods and services; while the savings to government helps to balance budgets.
I dont now about the US taxes on gas, but here in India its taxed some % of price per litre which will reduce if the oil price is reduced and govt. will get less tax income from gas sales and they will increase the tax % to keep their income at projected levels. Can you brief how govt. will get more income from reducing gas prices in US?

I dont now about the US taxes on gas, but here in India its taxed some % of price per litre which will reduce if the oil price is reduced and govt. will get less tax income from gas sales and they will increase the tax % to keep their income at projected levels. Can you brief how govt. will get more income from reducing gas prices in US?

If people aren't spending money on gas, they will spend it elsewhere. Whenever money is spent, government gets a share whether by sales tax, income tax (from additional employment). etc. The only time they wouldn't get money is if you don't actually spend the savings.

Gasoline Taxes in the US are charged per-gallon. As long as fuel purchases stay stable, tax revenue from fuel sales stays the same. Lower per-gallon fuel prices tend to drive up consumption on a basis of the number of gallons, so you would get a little extra tax revenue there. As jerry33 mentioned, Americans don't really save money for the future, so any reduced spending on gas is just spent elsewhere and the government gets sales tax on those purchases.

Gas/Diesel taxes by State in the US:
Gasoline Tax

The US government is a huge consumer of oil. Just the US military alone is the single largest oil consumer on the planet. I was not anticipating any increase in taxes, only a decrease in spending. So what ever the government saves on oil can be redeployed for spending elsewhere, tax breaks, or simply reducing the deficit. The mulipier effect would depend on how the savings are redeployed. I am assuming on 1x to be a little conservative.

The US government is a huge consumer of oil. Just the US military alone is the single largest oil consumer on the planet. I was not anticipating any increase in taxes, only a decrease in spending. So what ever the government saves on oil can be redeployed for spending elsewhere, tax breaks, or simply reducing the deficit. The mulipier effect would depend on how the savings are redeployed. I am assuming on 1x to be a little conservative.

It's the government they will easily find a way to spend it elsewhere... Whether that has any added benefit... I agree with the 1x number. That savings is like 1/4 of the defense budget... To put that in perspective.

It's the government they will easily find a way to spend it elsewhere... Whether that has any added benefit... I agree with the 1x number. That savings is like 1/4 of the defense budget... To put that in perspective.

Yeah, $75B in savings to government may be a bit high. Maybe more like $40B, but that would shift more to industry where I am assuming a 3x multiplier. That shift would just add $70B to my aggregate economic impact. So I'm just trying to keep the whole thing reasonably conservative. Anything in the neighborhood of $650B is significant to the US economy. GDP is about $17T, so $650B is around 3.8%.

Perhaps one of the smartest ways for goverments to spend this cheap oil windfall is to continue incentives for EVs and renewable energy. I'm not saying this is necessary, but just that these actions will contune to push alternatives to oil, which in the long run will push down the price of oil. Think of it as a hedge against the return of high oil prices.

(LMB spouse)

My take is that low oil prices are aimed primarily at hurting Russia for its recent behavior in Ukraine and secondarily at lowering investment in oil exploration and development. The first is pretty clearly a US/NATO aim and the second is a benefit for Middle Eastern oil producers, the only ones who make much money at current prices and don't have an incentive to explore unconventional reserves.

So much this. Once things with Russia figure themselves out (either they start a larger war or they pull back from Ukraine entirely) gas will probably go back to where it was.