Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gas Pump in Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
When I was a kid, I had a friend who lived in a wealthy community. His neighbor across the street had his own gas pump in his garage. I thought that was the coolest thing and I have always had the desire in the back of my mind to do that at my house, even though I knew I would never actually do it. Now, essentially I have that with my at-home charging. Just one more convenience of owning a BEV.

When I was a kid, I had a friend who lived in a wealthy community. His neighbor across the street had his own gas pump in his garage. I thought that was the coolest thing and I have always had the desire in the back of my mind to do that at my house, even though I knew I would never actually do it. Now, essentially I have that with my at-home charging. Just one more convenience of owning a BEV.

I'd think the build up of fumes in the garage would make it really unpleasant and rather dangerous unless they actively pumped air into the garage.

Your point about the convenience of an EV is certainly well taken, though. :)
Walter

This is exactly what I tell people when they ask about the "hassle" of charging: it's like a have a gas pump in my garage and a valet who pumps it for me every time I get home.
I use an analogy close to this as well.

When asked about charge times, I say "Well, there are superchargers, but mostly you'll be charging at home so I'll compare that first. Think of it this way, imagine you have special gas pump at home that only costs 50 cents per gallon, the catch is that it drip feeds very slowly, one gallon an hour. How often would you use that versus a $4/gallon gas station?"

That tends to make the light bulb go off in their head and makes it easier to talk about how superchargers handle road trips and the time/value proposition there.

That's a strange analogy, ck. If you paint a picture of such a slow-filling gas pump, the audience will envision themselves holding a nozzle for hours at a time, wasting their lives away. I much prefer Cottonwood's (and others') approach which refers only to the time the owner spends on the mechanics of re-charging: about 10-15 seconds to plug in, and a similar amount to un-plug.

These refer to different aspects - I understand - but they bear to the reality of the situation.

Back to the (in-driveway, NOT in-garage!!!!) pump - where I grew up, the mansion that The Rich Lady on our street owned was also so endowed, and her driver (NOT her chauffeur - that is a gauche term!) would let me do the task when I was old enough. Now, in Alaska, we're 160 miles r/t from the nearest station, so we have some half-dozen tanks around our compound (250- to 1,000-gallons) filled with diesel #1, #2, heating oil, gasoline.... it's not good to forget which is which.....

The car collector across the street from my childhood home bought two adjacent lots and built a compound of sorts. He had a 3 car garage in the main house, a 4 car garage under the pool house, and a gas pump next to the pool house/garage.

What if you could get a gas pump for the garage (with magically no fumes) that filled the car every night at 10 cents a gallon, but the catch is that it comes only with a Mercedes S-class sedan.

BTW, has anyone calculated the equivalent cost per gallon?

What if you could get a gas pump for the garage (with magically no fumes) that filled the car every night at 10 cents a gallon, but the catch is that it comes only with a Mercedes S-class sedan.

BTW, has anyone calculated the equivalent cost per gallon?

Pretty simple calculation. Let's take some really round, approximate numbers that give and easy in your head calculation. If you assume that with driving, charging losses, vampire, etc, it requires 333 Wh/mi to keep the car driving, and an equivalent ICE would get 24 mpg; to go 24 miles in your MS takes 24 mi * 0.333 kWh/mi or 8 kWh. That means 8 kWh in your MS is equivalent to 1 gallon of gas in a similar ICE. If you believe my assumptions, take your kWh electricity cost and multiply by 8 to get your equivalent cost per gallon of gas. For me in Boulder, electricity costs about $0.125 per kWh, so 8 kWh costs $1.00; in Pagosa, my off-peak rate is about $0.0625 per kWh, so 8 kWh costs $0.50.

In Boulder, my electric equivalent to an ICE is $1 per gallon; in Pagosa, it's half of that at 50 cents per gallon.