Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gas savings calc wildly inaccurate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla app shows I saved $93 in gas over the past 31 days. However, my car hasn’t left my garage at all in that time.

Note: the electricity use is highish because I have sentry mode on, and a couple times fiddled with the charge %.

Attachments

• 2FA1DF04-C747-41AA-AE95-8FD69B0E8852.jpeg
    2FA1DF04-C747-41AA-AE95-8FD69B0E8852.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 238
This never can be accurate, since they have to guess at your electricity price (although you can set that yourself), your alternate gas mileage and gas price. All of those depend upon multiple factors. Your actual electric bill most likely consists of both fixed charges and variable source and delivery costs, as well as possibly time of use changes. Your comparison gas mileage depends on exactly what car and how you drive it, and the gas price will depend upon factors including where you buy the gas and what grade you use. And of course as you noticed the number includes non-driving electricity usage. So it is just a fun thing to play with in the app.

Yeah I've learned recently that the calculation is just for show. Somehow the gas savings from 174 kWh of free charging in Los Angeles is only $95. The mileage equivalent of 174 kWh is 700 miles. Assuming 30 mpg and $6 per gallon, this would have cost $140.