Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gas smell in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It started this morning.. Have had the MYP for about 6 months now and nothing like this. It smells like spilled gasoline in the car. I roll the windows down and drive for 5 minutes and the smell goes away. Park the car for a few hours, and the smell is back. Same thing, if I drive for a few minutes the smell goes away.

Anyone have experience with this issue?

I did a search and the common smells of vinegar, surfur, rotten eggs is not it. This smells like gasoline.

It started this morning.. Have had the MYP for about 6 months now and nothing like this. It smells like spilled gasoline in the car. I roll the windows down and drive for 5 minutes and the smell goes away. Park the car for a few hours, and the smell is back. Same thing, if I drive for a few minutes the smell goes away.

Anyone have experience with this issue?

I did a search and the common smells of vinegar, surfur, rotten eggs is not it. This smells like gasoline.
Maybe overfilled it, or the spare gas in the gas can in the trunk could be the issue

Next time precondition the car before you get in. If the smell isn't there when you get in, it's mildew on the coils.

I've never heard it described as a gas smell, but I'm sure different smells are possibly.

Either get coil cleaner and replace the filter, or have it done.

• Helpful
Reactions: jcanoe
Well, the gasoline smell is back. It immediately goes away after driving for about 2 minutes. No I didnt spill or step in gas.

I will again test if preconditioning the car has that smell.. So if it does, then its the coils? What does that mean?

Well, the gasoline smell is back. It immediately goes away after driving for about 2 minutes. No I didnt spill or step in gas.

I will again test if preconditioning the car has that smell.. So if it does, then its the coils? What does that mean?
The coils in these cars seem to retain moisture really easily in humid environments. They can build up bacteria or mildew and produce some strong odors. Coil cleaner will fix it, and you might as well replace the filter at the same time.

If you're sure it's gasoline, you might have driven over someone else's fuel leak. I've had that happen a couple of times over the years in my LEAF. Even though gas evaporates quickly, heavier fractions remain and the smell can persist for a while.