Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gas stations are dangerous!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep...
West Virginia Train Derailment Sends Oil Tanker Into River - ABC News
CSX Oil Train Derails in West Virginia | Al Jazeera America

UPDATE: State of Emergency declared in Kanawha and Fayette Count - Beckley, Bluefield Lewisburg News, Weather, Sports

headlineImage.adapt.1460.high.1424131002008.jpg

Last edited:
I used to work for a major oil company as an electrical engineer. I designed the company's gas stations and truck stops. I helped write the STATIC ELECTRICITY WARNINGS for the API (American Petroleum Institute). I remember the conference call (to decide what to put on the warning label) with the other oil companies and sharing the horror stories of static electricity fires. I have worked in refineries, tank farm terminals, oversaw cathodic protection for over 3000 miles of buried pipeline...the things you actually hear about are just the tip of the iceberg.

Company president testified before Congress that the oil company never withheld supply of gasoline from the American public. I had a good laugh when I saw him on TV doing this because I was at a tank farm terminal a few weeks earlier when the order was given to limit the supply of gasoline to drive up the cost. I wonder if the company president knew what was really going on.

I wish I could find and share the company video of an employee many years ago who lit a cigarette under a tanker loading rack. He got halon dumped on him!

- - - Updated - - -

Gas is really safe? (Not the U.S btw, if it's not obvious)

The law in the U.S. requires that dispenser nozzles and hoses be equipped with "breakaway" valves to prevent these type of fires. I prefer EV charging.

- - - Updated - - -

This happened yesterday about 15 miles south of where I work.

I lost a co-worker and friend who drove a gasoline tanker for the oil company I used to work for. He was driving in fog and ended up hitting an oncoming truck as a glancing blow that ripped open his tanker and caused an explosion and fire. All that was left of him were his teeth. May he rest in eternal peace. I hope we can one day soon we can all be driving EVs.

Last edited by a moderator: