Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gas stations are dangerous!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These videos validate why I always look for the gas cutoff switch when I go to a gas station. I worked at a gas station when I was a teenager so I'm always cognizant of safety but when I pull in to fill up I don't always see fire extinguishers but if you're paying attention, the gas cutoff switch for the station is usually located outside near the pumps. I'm still another 26 days, 19 hours and 39 minutes from taking delivery of my Model S. But I'm not counting. Boy can I not wait to say goodbye gasoline, so long oil changes, ba-bye smogs, sayonara tune-ups, howdy HOV lanes, hello green highways!

I can see it now:

"Police officer saves teen unlicensed drunk driver from burning Tesla" says "These things are time bombs ... destroyed an entire recharging bank due to manufacturing glitch"

"Officials say they are banning all Teslas from driving over 5mph until they launch a full study into the safety of these cars ... Richard Cranium, reporting live"

Yesterday I stopped at the gas station to fill my car up, something I do three times a week and I pull up next to big turbo diesel dodge ram pickup. Because their are big rigs going back and forth it's pretty noisy but I noticed the dodge pickup's engine is running. The driver inside hops out, pulls out the pump and starts pumping...while the engine is still running. I'm thinking to myself, I'm going to die. They've hammered it into our heads from static discharges to pulling away with the pump still in that you're suppose to turn the engine off when pumping gas. I have one more stop at the gas station before I take delivery of my Model S,...and hopefully never have to buy gasoline and oil again.

iRobot (Bridget Moynahan) - "Please tell me this doesn't run on gas! Gas explodes, you know?"

Shelbri is correct. There are enough valid reasons for this thread's title; we should not resort to incorrect arguments, as such is similar to FUD, which in itself weakens the case.

A diesel engine is a combustion chamber so I would never say there is zero risk.

Of course there isn't zero risk of an asteroid falling from the sky and crushing you while sitting in a Tesla charging the battery at a supercharger station either.

I just wouldn't worry about either. Gasoline is an entirely different story.

A diesel engine is a combustion chamber so I would never say there is zero risk.

Of course there isn't zero risk of an asteroid falling from the sky and crushing you while sitting in a Tesla charging the battery at a supercharger station either.

I just wouldn't worry about either. Gasoline is an entirely different story.

I guess I meant is the risk reduced by turning the engine off. If it is then I would think the same rule should apply for diesel or gas.

I guess I meant is the risk reduced by turning the engine off. If it is then I would think the same rule should apply for diesel or gas.

Diesel doesn't produce sufficient fumes anywhere near ambient temperature to ignite. You wold have to aerosolize (or very finely mist) the diesel over an open flame to have a chance of igniting it.

A pool of diesel is almost impossible to ignite with a lit match.

Lego gets it.

Leaked 2015 product catalog with EXPLODING GAS PUMP set.

q9ex3RC.jpg