Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gas Stations Are Not Dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leap forward a few years. If there are megachargers, or the equivalent, where you can charge fully in just a few minutes, will we start using Gas Stations as charging stations? Home charging is still convenient, but will we one day see charging pumps out front of the service stations instead of in the back? And if so, why spend the upfront money on installation of a charger (with install mine was about $2,000). I guess the question I'm asking is if megachargers will move us back to convenience stores.

Megachargers will be everywhere, not just convenience stores.

Malls, libraries, grocery stores, etc.

No more environmental hazards associated with them, thus easier permitting, maintenance, etc.

They will be a draw to spend 15-20 minutes inside a company. (And yes, you will have to pay.)

Starbucks, anyone?

Reactions: aesculus
Leap forward a few years. If there are megachargers, or the equivalent, where you can charge fully in just a few minutes, will we start using Gas Stations as charging stations? Home charging is still convenient, but will we one day see charging pumps out front of the service stations instead of in the back? And if so, why spend the upfront money on installation of a charger (with install mine was about $2,000). I guess the question I'm asking is if megachargers will move us back to convenience stores.

I hope you recovered most of that $2K from government rebates. I recovered most of my cost.

As for your question, most people will charge at home.

I wonder if chargers will be matched to destination? Full charge in 15 minutes makes no sense if you will be over an hour like motels, movies, museums, art galleries, aquariums, etc. They can have an hour or longer for full charge.

This is starting to happen in the UK and Europe.

Welcome to Shell Recharge

Shell are an Anglo Dutch (Headquarters in UK and Holland). They are starting before the end of 2017 with some petrol (Gas to you in USA) stations with charging points. The artical says that they wil be charging 25p per kw initially and then 49p from June. Just to give you an idea, I am charged 12p per kw (just over 9 cents).

Shell will also be opening new stations where they will not sell petrol/gas at all - just electric, LPG etc)

Reactions: David99
There are plenty of people that own apartments and condos that have no option to install or use charging at home. Currently, these people probably don't even consider an EV, because they have no true viable charging options.
This is true. If i lived in a condo or apt with a garage i would work like hec to get a charger in there somehow BEFORE buying a tesla. Also To not have that where you live in a cold climate with snow 8 months of the year and you park outside will be HELL.

I think the battery range will double or quadruple in the next few years. At some point in not so distant future there will be no need for recharging on the way when you travel. Only destination chargers will remain. I think gas stations are doomed. Just a matter of time.

Reactions: plumazul
Unfortunately not gonna happen in cities where land is expensive. e.g. gas stations are already dying or dead in some parts of Vancouver. Though the real estate situation here is particularly crazy, perhaps not much different than other expensive cities like San Francisco or NYC.

Chevron recently closed the last two gas stations in downtown Vancouver, one of them sold for C$72M(!) to a condo developer (you gotta sell a LOT of gas, overpriced cartons of milk, and lotto scratch tickets to beat that...). Then shortly after they closed 5 more gas stations outside of the city centre. Pricey real estate fuels Chevron's decision to sell 5 more Vancouver locations (In a way this even affects me as a Tesla driver - it's getting harder to find places with free air pumps to fill my tires). Meanwhile even if megachargers or other public fast DC charging becomes more widespread, maybe it makes sense to put those in public parking lots and shopping mall lots, like where the existing public L2 charging networks are already located

Why this belief megachargers will charge a car so fast. Ignores that even now in warm climates superchargers cause the AC to work hard to control temperature.

I can see gas stations offering more and more charging but I think superchargers as we know them now will be the ticket with Cafe in the station to get some more of your money.
Far as apartment and condos I think they could be well served by workplace perk of charging. No need for superchargers there, 30amp 240v would easily replace a days use by lunch.

When I grew up in Detroit, lots of street parking, in front of stores, provided plug ins on the street lamps, so you could plug in your engine block heater to keep it from freezing while you shopped. Also kept the motor oil warmer so the cars would be easier to start in sub zero temps.

Would be super easy for business, and even residential street parking to have access to at least 110v plugs. While slow to charge a big battery, it would at least gain you some miles everytime you stopped to shop or visit. Upgrading to 220v would also be possible in most places, and the entire charging issue goes away.

Gas stations are already becoming fueling stations. Some also carry Propane and Diesel. Not all unexpected that as profitable options come along they can just be added to the offerings.

Gas stations are definitely not dead.
Though many will add variety of "fuels" they offer.
For now, our local stations provide:
95 gasoline, 98 gasoline, Diesel, LPG, CNG, windshield washer fluid (yes, directly from the nozzle), AdBlue.
Soon there will be 50kW plugs, 350kW plugs (aka premium). If it all goes wrong, maybe even H350 and H700
(by "wrong" I mean fuel lobbying wins and lot's Hydrogen-believers fall for that).

Megachargers likely will not join those stations. Those have demands that are not suitable for regular refill station.