TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Gas stations disappearing across Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by Driver Dave, Mar 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

Thanks for the fake news.

• Funny x 1
  2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Many people have purchased BEVs and never used public charging. And some just plug into a regular socket at home.

Estimated cost per Supercharger site: $150k
    Current number of sites: 877
    Approximate number of cars sold: 186k
    Cost per car: $150k x 877 / 186k ~= $707.26
    Not really that high. Certainly bearable by buyers of new Teslas.

There are some high potential future costs to enable home charging everywhere. But if systematically integrated as part of other work, the cost would be lowered. It's piecemeal retrofitting that's really expensive.

Current access to easy home charging is sufficient to establish BEV. Much of the rest can happen with market forces, property churn. System on-street charging installation would be the final hurdle.

• Like x 2
  3. Driver Dave

Driver Dave Member

It was pretty easy to see that tvs requiring glasses for 3D would not work. The benefit was not there. The EV benefit is there.

As well, EVs do not require 'massive investment in public and private power'. Like iPhones, the electric network is in fact in place. Electricity is everywhere. iPhones actually did require a fairly large upgrade to the capabilities and bandwidth and technology of the cell and wireless network. EVs just need pretty much some extra plugs.

My point remains. Adoption in 10 years time is a very plausible thing.

• Like x 1
  4. Tangible

Tangible Member

Tesla says, "Cost of installation will vary by location, cost can range from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars, depending on the scope of work. Some homes may require service panel upgrades or trenching to install home charging equipment, increasing the cost.,"

In my case it was about $2,000 to install 14-50 outlets in two homes, and I needed panel upgrades in one of them. That could be a significant drag, especially for those buying the more affordable model 3 and Volt.

On the other hand, my town's electrical code now requires a 40 amp outlet in the garage of every newly constructed home. That will help a lot in the future. We're in agreement that this adoption will happen; it's only on the timeframe that we differ.

5. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

[QUOTE="Tangible, post: 2036878, member: 56514
    On the other hand, my town's electrical code now requires a 40 amp outlet in the garage of every newly constructed home.[/QUOTE]

That's great! Should become a national law in my opinion. Such a small expense at time of construction, especially if service panel is in the garage. A good selling point for the home as well.

6. Tangible

Tangible Member

Yes, @gavine, though more federal regulation is not exactly in vogue these days it would be a great idea nationally. That's generally done not by federal law, but by the issuance of model electrical codes for states and localities to adopt as they choose. That greatly enhances the appeal across the political spectrum.

In fact, earlier today I came across a discussion on this forum of best ways to store a gun in a Tesla. While I'm not a gun guy, after a moment's reflection I was pleased to see that EVs are moving beyond the tree-hugger stereotype and attracting broad interest. I'll keep hugging my trees, but I welcome fans of all our great constitutional amendments. (Except the 18th; that one totally sucked.)

When you compare the cost of providing EV power at home construction time to doing it at car purchase time it's a gigantic advantage.