TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Gas Tank Anxiety

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by Kipernicus, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Running on fumes!

I don't know about the rest of you, but my morning is so hectic that even stopping for a 5 minute fill-up would push me over the edge from being slightly late to embarrasingly late. I wouldn't have this problem if I started each day with a full battery. Can't wait!

2. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

If this were Facebook: Like.

3. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

+1 (maybe old school compared to a FB Like, but still effective)

I try to convey to people the sheer joy of having a "full tank" every morning I leave home, but it's one of those things you need to experience personally before you can fully appreciate how big of a change it really is.

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

That's a great way to think about and explain it. Thanks, I'll have to use that one in conversation when people ask questions about the car.

5. kgb

kgb Member

I'm sure that most people are creatures of habit. 99% of the time, I'd fill up my ICE at the same 2 or 3 gas stations. Now, each time I pass them up, I feel like I should turn in (because I haven't in a while)... It's a great feeling that I don't have to. Also, it's nice when my car tells me that it took $2 to top off my car battery... that'd be half a gallon of gas!

6. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I experience mild "Gas Tank Anxiety" fairly regularly. Often I'm driving home late at night and many of the gas stations are actually closed. My car doesn't have a low fuel light, so you just have to pay attention. I've never actually run out of gas, so I'm not sure how close (or past) E I can let the needle go before I'm really in trouble.

7. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

+1

Driving an ICE car in the UK recently I'd become so comfortable with the miles-empty on the roadster I applied the same to the tech in a Vauxhall something; sat-nav said 230 miles to home, dash said 240 miles of fuel - no problem, I'm sure that'll improve as I drive steadily rather than zooming around like the last 50 miles.

With about 50 miles to go the display changed to a big warning "Get fuel" but I dismissed it, at 40 miles; "Get fuel" - dismissed, at 30 miles "Get fuel now!" but here's the silly part, it wouldn't let me dismiss the warning to reveal the remaining range and the analogue gauge had been in the red for the last hour so that was no use. Cheers, thanks, set me up at the beginning of the drive with promises of anxiety free driving but bugger off and leave me guessing when it comes to the crunch!

With only 15 miles remaining I had no problems getting home... except for the $170 refill the following morning.

8. Mark Petersen

Mark Petersen Model S EU P71

ups out of gas

Friday on my way home form an Tesla event in Copenhagen, the gas warning light came on, well it is late, I just fill it up tomorrow
    Sunday when I startet the car it went ding, I need gas, ok I just drop by the gasstation down the road 1 miles away
    Well of cause when I passed the gasstation I had forgot everything about gas, and joust took the hi-way and after 10 mile it of cause stalled, ups, lucky I was driving down hill and 2 miles ahead there was a gasstation
    Saved by pure luck

hope Tesla include a custom configurable warning, when you turn off the car and there is less than XX miles on the battery

9. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

I saw a few articles that said national statistics on out-of-gas motorists aren't available, but did find this statement from AAA from 2006 (when we had record high gas prices):

(link to AAA)

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I was never able to find that number either. (let me know if you do)
    For now, I just go with 250,000 gas fires every year.