Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gas2.org Article, most americans still don't know EV's exist!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the interest of full disclosure: I am fairly sure that twelve months ago today, my then-current knowledge of the state of the electric vehicle industry was that Toyota had good success with a really ugly hybrid, and that someone else (Chevy? Nissan? Mitsubishi?) might have had another out there. And everything else was Popular Mechanics stuff.

Not that MY exposure to news and current events is like anyone else's.

Still, I remain mystified as to when I first learned about Tesla. It was, though, some time between mid-December and mid-January 2012-13.

In the interest of full disclosure: I am fairly sure that twelve months ago today, my then-current knowledge of the state of the electric vehicle industry was that Toyota had good success with a really ugly hybrid, and that someone else (Chevy? Nissan? Mitsubishi?) might have had another out there. And everything else was Popular Mechanics stuff.

Still, I remain mystified as to when I first learned about Tesla. It was, though, some time between mid-December and mid-January 2012-13.

Being in So Cal, I was familiar with Tesla since the beginning, what 10 years ago? About 6 years ago I was at the LA Auto Show with my son. We were looking with amazement at the cutaway Ferrari and Lamborgini engines. We rounded the corner and there was a display of a Tesla Roadster motor, all one moving part! It made those Ferrari engines look ridiculous.

For me a bit back it was "they all suck, except Tesla but they probably will remain niche and/or go bankrupt". This was before I read any of the master plan stuff or really looked beyond the "drool, but 98+6 is too high (for Roadster) but man if they make a Taurus-class* EV it's time to invest" phase back when.

* Low-enough priced sedan that has "acceptable" visual appeal and meets the needs of family and business clientele transport.