Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gasoline heater for Winter driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Resurrecting this conversation since I'm still shell-shocked from the 1,800km drive in -20ºC from PEI to Toronto. Fredericton to Ottawa is 1,000km and took almost 17 hours - 70% more than a comparable ICE trip. This is unacceptable to the majority of the population and we must find a solution if we want EVs to flourish. Happy to share some additional data from Teslafi for the curious.

My take away from this brutal drive was that we can rule out the following "solutions" to the extreme cold weather problem:

- bigger batteries -- part of a solution, but not much good as an economic argument since you may only need the extreme cold weather solution 3 weeks a year and batteries are expensive. And you have to haul around the batteries all year, adding weight.
- more Supercharging -- part of the solution, but stopping to Supercharge for 30 minutes per 90 minutes of driving is the worst.
- faster Supercharging -- you can't charge cold batteries, period. Warming them up eats up time and/or range. Faster Supercharging does nothing for a battery that is at a high state of charge and is tapering, but it does ensure there's enough power to also run pack and cabin heaters - which I found out the hard way is really not the case with Urban SCs. Faster Supercharging plus bigger batteries would have helped certainly but the real kicker is the increase in consumption due to having to warm the cabin.
- even destination charging has a tough time keeping up. A cold soaked battery on a 48A (rare!) L2 charger takes over an hour to meaningfully heat up at -20ºC. And I'm afraid that 30A L2 chargers are more so the norm. If you don't have destination charging at -20ºC, GOOD LUCK.

I'd love the option to place a small heater in the frunk inline with the liquid loop of either the battery or the cabin, that accepts readily available propane canisters. Similar to the Volvo heater, but without the risk of a liquid fuel spillage.

Such an option will be that much important for the Tesla Semi.

I firmly believe the answer to your predicament is a Webasto (or similar- there are a number of brands) diesel heater. Many trucks have them. Diesel is also far safer and has higher calorific value than any other form of fuel- I wouldn't want petrol or propane in the car!
I have one in my RV (caravan) which I fitted myself and it is absolutely brilliant, and uses less than 0.2 litres per hour running flat out, less when it throttles down. They're about the size of a shoebox, with inlet and exhaust piped totally outside but interior cabin air totally separate and recirculated, so zero chance of any fumes.
If I lived in a very cold climate with an EV, I'd very seriously consider finding a way to fit one, maybe even in the frunk or under the floor in the boot.

Cya

• Informative
Reactions: Snerruc
Aircraft designs have avoided gasoline (petroleum) powered heaters because they are dangerous and require continual maintenance and checks to keep them properly Operational. Tesla should avoid them too!
Yes, I flew a Beechcraft Baron and a Piper Navajo Chieftain in the late '70's and early 80's with one.
The avgas heater was always a pain in the backside, and quite often wouldn't "fire up", then you just about freeze to death.... or descend to warmer air (and burn more fuel!) :(

A current generation Webasto or Eberspacher diesel heater on the other hand is painless, very safe, super efficient, and 100% reliable.
As I mentioned, if I lived where some of you guys do in high latitudes (and high altitudes) with very cold winters, it's a solution I'd be chasing for my EV very strongly!!

Cya

Reading about the record breaking Cannonball Run, they did it w/o running the heat to get there as efficiently as possible. Very exciting but they were freezing.
Freezing? It appears to be warm there! Also, even without heat, cabin is way warmer than outside.
Anything above freezing temperature it is fine to drive with no HVAC heat and just steering/seat heat (plus average socks and warm boots).
Also, soldier training is in winter weather patrol for whole night (8h), mostly just standing. Winter is like -5*C. Nobody has ever "freezed".
Seat heating is doing a LOT to body core temp.

I am curious about the battery heat in a Tesla, if a hydronic heater was used would you be heating the coolant that feeds the cabin only or are they combined to also heat/cool the battery pack?
Yes, Eberspächer or Webasto make coolant heaters (5-5,5kW usually). This would heat the battery on Tesla, but not the cabin.
Model S/X cabin heater does not have coolant loop at all.
But heating battery is going to add range. It is absolutely doable. Though needs some additional sensors (as by default, heater stops at around 60*C, which is too much for battery) so that heating stops when intake coolant is around 25*C.
These manufacturers also make auxiliary air heaters (used on semi-trucks so truckers are kept warm when they sleep). This heats air directly. Vent needs some drilling, slightly more inconvenient.