Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

gate opener problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PhilBa

Apr 20, 2013
Seattle
I have an automatic gate that I go through frequently. It uses a non-homelink compatible protocol and the windshield does a great job of blocking the transmitter/clicker. Holding the clicker out the window is getting old.

The clicker uses a simple push button and I can trigger it with a separate switch that I could put near the dashboard via wires snaked through the bulkhead. I was hoping to build a more integrated solution.

My idea is to use a homelink receiver like this and tie it's contact closure terminals to the gate opener clicker button. I'd put both in the nosecone. Then I program a homelink button to trigger the receiver which in turn triggers the gate opener. Here's a diagram:
Untitled.png

Has anyone done something similar? Based on other posts I've seen here, I assume that the nosecone is RF transparent and that 12V is available without too much fuss. The only thing I'm unsure about is whether the homelink transmitter reaches the nosecone. I think it's very likely but won't know till I try.

The only thing I'm unsure about is whether the homelink transmitter reaches the nosecone. I think it's very likely but won't know till I try.
It sounds like you have a nice idea there.

Considering that Tesla recommends that you place your Garage Door Opener at the front of the car (by the nose cone) to program the HomeLink system, the car's receiver/transmitter is probably somewhere in the front of the car. Also, many people who have had problems programming their car's HomeLink have had better success placing their garage door opener in the frunk while programming.