Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gateway 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a Gateway 2 for about a month. As Mike suggested, I was told by several installers in the UK that I could only have a 2.

Even if I had been given the choice, I would have gone for a 2, not least because I hope it will give at least some level of future proofing for the many changes I anticipate in the next few years.

If you have any particular questions, I will try to answer them.

AFAIK the Gateway 2 is only for 3-phase locations, like the UK. In split-phase grids like the US the original Gateway is all there is.

Pretty sure each 'leg' can only handle half of the current of the original Gateway also, which isn't a problem when the voltage is twice as high.

The advantages of the gateway 2 are:

1. Power outage operation - backup power. Not sure if this is a UK thing . It's now approved for backup power supply in UK, it has to be isolated from the company supply during outage operation. So solar will continue to work as well. The general opinion seems to be that it can't be relied on as a UPS for computers though - the change-over isn't quick enough, so I expect to have to reboot my PC and NAS.

I understand that earthing is an issue depending on your electrical installation. It has to be earthed independently from any company supply earth for power outage operation.

2. Contains 6 CB's so you don't have to pay for installation of a separate sub-unit (as I understand it).

3. Nice appearance (the effect is rather lost in my cluttered utility garage!).

Disadvantage is that it costs a lot more, it's also bigger if space is at a premium.

On balance the backup facility probably makes it worthwhile although we don't have many outages these days - oops, I spoke too soon! One occurred the other day, about 2 hours.

Differences noted:
Firmware appears to be on a different track - current appears to be 0.3.11 but doesn't appear to be updated so regularly (mine has not updated in the last four months)
Some local API fields are different but most are trivial
It appears to be slightly better at tracking varying loads but that may be down to firmware.

I guess it doesn't easily open-up like the Gateway 1 does? Wondering if there's still a Neurio inside, or if they've integrated the current sensing. It claims to have more accurate sensing (±0.2% vs. ±1%), so it seems like something changed in that regard.

There may be differences between the UK and the States on this. In the UK the Gateway 2 is used for single phase or 3 phase. As woferry says, it may be due to the voltage difference.
I just had a couple powerwalls installed, and got the old gateway. Was hoping for the new one, but I don’t think they offer it in the US, currently. All of the YouTube videos showing gateway 2, seem to be from the UK or Australia.