Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gateway 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the Gateway 2 available for North America (USA)?

I'm about to have two powerwall 2 installed and requested the Gateway 2 but from my reading it appears they are only available for UK and AU but this is an article from Dec 2018 and not much else about it since. Might get stuck with gateway v1.

Curious if anyone recently in the US has got the gateway 2 installed with their system?

thanks for the feedback. I got an email back from my installer and she said yes they will be using the Gateway 2. I'm still wondering if this is really the case, I will find out i guess when they come to do the install after permits and all that clears.

My guess will be based on your feedback it will be a gateway 1. I sent the datasheet and info on gateway 2 and explained there is 2 versions. I would not be surprised if it is gateway 1 but time will tell.

I agree the Gateway 2 handles 3 phase but it also supports single phase as well per the datasheet so no reason why it can't be used in the US and most common household setups.

thanks for the feedback. I got an email back from my installer and she said yes they will be using the Gateway 2. I'm still wondering if this is really the case, I will find out i guess when they come to do the install after permits and all that clears.

My guess will be based on your feedback it will be a gateway 1. I sent the datasheet and info on gateway 2 and explained there is 2 versions. I would not be surprised if it is gateway 1 but time will tell.

I agree the Gateway 2 handles 3 phase but it also supports single phase as well per the datasheet so no reason why it can't be used in the US and most common household setups.

Here are a couple speculative reasons why Tesla may be using Gateway 1 in the US.
  1. Save on cost as Gateway 1 could cost less than Gateway 2.
  2. Tesla is using up their stock of Gateway 1 prior to deploying Gateway 2.
Keep us posted if you do get Gateway 2.

Reactions: Shygar
The automatic switch in the North American gateway has two poles for the L1 & L2 for the split phase grid. The Gateway 2 only needs a single pole switch because it only backs up one phase. The Gateway 2 also needs three phase metering. IIRC, the components in Gateway 2 are all DIN rail mounted, so interchanging components to support split phase should be easy enough, should they choose to do that.

• Informative
Reactions: cr0ntab and Shygar
I'm getting the equipment delivered tomorrow while waiting for permits to go through. Will confirm if Gateway 2 is used or not.

Just my luck the day they are delivering the equipment Edison has sent out a notice they could shut down power in my area. Would have been nice to be able to test the backup mode tomorrow.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Concern i have is 100A single phase, seems low and a step backwards.
Definitely a step backwards for most people. The 200A split phase switch in the original Backup Gateway is really the way to go. The only good application for this Gateway in North America is a small Critical Loads install where you can make do with the 100A and 6 internal breakers. That would eliminate the need for the additional Generation Panel too.

Agree, I bought two powerwall 2 to support whole house backup, i have a 200A main panel so if i'm limited to 100A means running the AC and keeping the rest of the bigger 220V appliances off. Not sure why Tesla made this decision and which datasheet is actually the right one. The last one is from an AU site.