Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gateway 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree, I bought two powerwall 2 to support whole house backup, i have a 200A main panel so if i'm limited to 100A means running the AC and keeping the rest of the bigger 220V appliances off. Not sure why Tesla made this decision and which datasheet is actually the right one. The last one is from an AU site.
I have 320A service and a 200A main breaker but all of my big loads (EV, A/C, Electric Dryer, etc.) are not backed up and remain in my main panel. The breaker feeding the Gateway is still 125A, so the new Gateway would not work for my situation either.

The new Gateway is clearly intended for other markets where utility service with more than 100A per phase is rare.

Geez, i made it clear i'm buying this for whole house backup. I wonder if the engineer at the solar company is even aware of this limitation. The AC better be backed up, ill turn everything else off and keep the AC and some lights on but wow.

Honestly I would not be surprised if some of the companies out there don't know the difference between "Powerwall 2" and "Gateway 2." The naming is a little confusing and what they may be thinking is that it's a Powerwall 2 system, not an original Powerwall system. Given that there have been no reports on this board of anyone in the US receiving Gateway 2 yet, I suspect they're not using them here.

I'll find out tomorrow i guess.

Let us know! As someone who just made the decision to purchase 2 powerwalls and put down the deposit, I am interested in your outcome. From the (very) outside looking in, one would assume that "gateway 2 must be better than 1, so that is the one I should have!"... but reading through this thread it is apparent that, at least here in the US there appear to be trade offs.... if gateway 2 is even available.

Will do, makes me wonder if the .2% vs 1% sensing is worth the upgrade and pretty facade. 100A is rather disappointing for single phase.

Is this worth the upgrade from the gateway 1? "The new gateway’s improvements include higher speed 4G communication, three phase operation with greater control, more accurate CT monitoring and in a package that is about 30% smaller and lighter than the old gateway."

They arrived with the Gateway 1. Called my installer and the sales rep made a mistake in telling me Gateway 2 was available.

The company Engineer called me directly and explained his understanding of Gateway 2 after i sent him the EN datasheet. Then he called his Tesla Engineer counterpart personally with me on 3 way call. Apparently they are the biggest Tesla customer on the west coast so they have a direct line to these guys at Tesla which is cool b/c when I called myself the tech team and sales team at Tesla didn't even know about the gateway 2 and the one guy that did didn't have the datasheet for either model but had read about it online.

According to the Tesla engineer the Gateway 2 was rolled out as a beta only in Au and EU. The EN datasheet does not mean it is for North America market. All the Env certs are EU unlike the gateway 1. The Gateway 2 is due for release in the US in mid to 3rd quarter 2020 optimistically. Also the EN version can support 100A per phase so in theory you can use it in the US market for 200A MSP. He also said it's nothing to get excited about compared to the gateway 1 other than minor differences and mainly aesthetics. The solar company Engineer asked if there was some beta program I can get on to test, the Tesla Engineer said absolutely not in the USA.

After we got off the phone with Tesla, the company Engineer called me back directly to let me know when they were at Tesla's secret facility up north where media & cameras are not allowed, Tesla showcases & trains on all the latest products, but the Gateway 2 was not at all on display, but they did have some new stuff the public has not seen yet.

The upside is when the gateway 2 is available my solar company agreed to upgrade it at no cost. I suspect the specs will be different than the EN model once they certify a North America model for sale here in the states. I'll be updating this in July 2020 and hoping to be one of the first to try the gateway 2.

cheers

Has anyone gotten any updates on the Gateway 2 in the US? A tesla customer service rep told me in Dec 2019 that they had tentative plans to roll out the Gateway 2 in the US in March 2020.

Does anyone in the US have a confirmed Gateway 2 installed or anyone have permit plans in the us in the works that includes the Gateway 2?

When we were working with Tesla to set up our system back in the January/February timeframe I asked about Gateway 2 as I had seen the Australian photos from some site and was told that it was not something here in the U.S. market yet. Like I'm sure many who have seen Gateway 2, it is a beautiful unit and much smaller than the ugly gray box that is Gateway 1. Our Energy contact said there was no info on his end yet about it coming out. He also said some new stuff was in the works but nothing he could disclose. We are getting our solar installed soon but our PWs were pushed back to the Fall. I know they are swamped with PW installs here (due to wildfire power shutdowns) and need more teams trained but I also suspect by that time they may have the US version available.

I was told that when Gateway 2 was available would come out and upgrade the equipment at no charge. US telecoms have been in the phase out period for 3G which is supported under Gateway 1 (last I read Verison will shut down end of 2020--originally announced for end of 2019; and AT&T plans phase out in early 2022). I think some Australian telecoms have already closed out some of their 3G, not sure about UK. I obviously would like less of a box sitting on my garage wall at time of install considering the aesthetics of it, but wouldn't hold back getting my PWs installed due to the risk of early wildfire/high wind season and being without battery back up. Sounds like we won't know more on it's rollout for a number of months.

Last edited:
When we were working with Tesla to set up our system back in the January/February timeframe I asked about Gateway 2 as I had seen the Australian photos from some site and was told that it was not something here in the U.S. market yet. Like I'm sure many who have seen Gateway 2, it is a beautiful unit and much smaller than the ugly gray box that is Gateway 1. Our Energy contact said there was no info on his end yet about it coming out. He also said some new stuff was in the works but nothing he could disclose. We are getting our solar installed soon but our PWs were pushed back to the Fall. I know they are swamped with PW installs here (due to wildfire power shutdowns) and need more teams trained but I also suspect by that time they may have the US version available.

I was told that when Gateway 2 was available would come out and upgrade the equipment at no charge. US telecoms have been in the phase out period for 3G which is supported under Gateway 1 (last I read Verison will shut down end of 2020--originally announced for end of 2019; and AT&T plans phase out in early 2022). I think some Australian telecoms have already closed out some of their 3G, not sure about UK. I obviously would like less of a box sitting on my garage wall at time of install considering the aesthetics of it, but wouldn't hold back getting my PWs installed due to the risk of early wildfire/high wind season and being without battery back up. Sounds like we won't know more on it's rollout for a number of months.

I hope they do upgrade the V1 units to V2. We just had our system installed and the V1 box looks huge. The Delta inverters are compact by comparison.

as I mentioned above when I asked our contact at TE, no upgrade fee. Someone else in this thread was told the same.

Makes sense if the cellular the gateway works on is AT&Ts 3g network. According to AT&T that network is due to be shutdown in February 2022. This is from AT&T:

"
What to know about 3G going away
To bring you faster speeds and new capabilities, we have to evolve our network through a number of changes. One of those changes is phasing out our 3G network by February 2022. Once we do, 3G devices and some 4G wireless devices (those that aren’t HD Voice capable) won’t work on our network anymore.
What it means to you
Talk and data services won’t work for older wireless phones and devices that don’t support at least 4G LTE and HD Voice. If we sent you a text message, it will tell you the lines on your account with phones that aren’t supported.
"

I can't think of a good reason to replace the whole gateway with the new form factor box. At most, replace the Gateway computer portion inside the existing box to upgrade the cellular radio.

Does anyone have actual confirmation that the Tesla cellular radio in the Powerwall Gateway is subject to the AT&T 3G phase-out?

I can't think of a good reason to replace the whole gateway with the new form factor box. At most, replace the Gateway computer portion inside the existing box to upgrade the cellular radio.

Does anyone have actual confirmation that the Tesla cellular radio in the Powerwall Gateway is subject to the AT&T 3G phase-out?

I have one of the original v1 gateways (without the black reset button) as I had my Powerwall installed back in Sept of 2017). There have been newer revision of the v1 gateways with the latest having the little black button to do a reset of the gateway.

My understand is that all of the v1 gateways have had LTE radios in them with service from AT&T.