TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Gateway range and two separate inverters...

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by rw99, May 16, 2018.

1. rw99

rw99 Member

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding how this system is supposed to operate, but I'm curious if I'll have a problem.

My solar (no PW, yet) install has panels on the main house and also on a detached garage about 40 ft away. There's an inverter on each building, and even if I position the gateway roughly midway between them I'm doubtful it'll receive sufficient signal from both.

Has anyone come up against a similar situation? Solutions? There's not a hardwire network connection available for this, is there? Or could two gateways be used, one near each inverter?

Thanks in advance for any info or ideas...

Rich

2. SoundDaTrumpet

It quite clear the Tesla Gateway uses Neurio branded equipment. I wonder if the solution below, Neurio's own controller, will be integrated into Powerwall system in the future (perhaps the electronics are already part of the Tesla Gateway, and not yet enabled, enacted, or publicized):
    Home Energy Controller (coming soon) – Neurio

3. miimura

miimura Active Member

The primary function of the Gateway that dictates its placement is the automatic transfer switch that isolates the backed up loads and generation from the grid. It also contains the brains that tell the Powerwalls how much to charge or discharge. The current measurements that inform the brains are made by a separate Neurio device. The Neurio and the Powerwall(s) are connected with RS-485 serial links.

If you don't have meaningful consumption in the detached garage, then just monitoring the whole circuit going to that building would be a reasonable proxy for that portion of your solar generation. Installing a CT with very long wires or a remote Neurio may or may not work. Using two gateways does not make sense.

4. tdk1007

tdk1007 New Member

A second neurio meter could be installed in the subpanel in the detached garage. The meter can report back to the gateway with a 150ft RS485 cable, or over a WiFi connection. Not sure if the WiFi signal would reach.