Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gateway range and two separate inverters...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if I'm misunderstanding how this system is supposed to operate, but I'm curious if I'll have a problem.

My solar (no PW, yet) install has panels on the main house and also on a detached garage about 40 ft away. There's an inverter on each building, and even if I position the gateway roughly midway between them I'm doubtful it'll receive sufficient signal from both.

Has anyone come up against a similar situation? Solutions? There's not a hardwire network connection available for this, is there? Or could two gateways be used, one near each inverter?

Thanks in advance for any info or ideas...

Rich

The primary function of the Gateway that dictates its placement is the automatic transfer switch that isolates the backed up loads and generation from the grid. It also contains the brains that tell the Powerwalls how much to charge or discharge. The current measurements that inform the brains are made by a separate Neurio device. The Neurio and the Powerwall(s) are connected with RS-485 serial links.

If you don't have meaningful consumption in the detached garage, then just monitoring the whole circuit going to that building would be a reasonable proxy for that portion of your solar generation. Installing a CT with very long wires or a remote Neurio may or may not work. Using two gateways does not make sense.