Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gatlinburg, TN Advice Please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife will be attending the Enamalist Society conference in Gatlinburg in early August. We will be taking our 90D from Texas and I have started scouting charging options around Gatlinburg. I have looked at Plugshare to see what my options are, but I would like some advice for both lodging and charging from anyone who lives in the area or has visited recently. We will be there about a week, so I will need some electrons for driving around while she is in the conference.

I see that there are 3 destination chargers listed in the area, but I need a little more clarity on availability. We have not looked at lodging options yet, but would give preference to a place with chargers, as long as the cost isn't too out of line. The comments on the other charging options don't fill me with optimism as most comments are not recent, and many indicate the equipment is not functioning or available. I imagine this has not improved after the recent devastating fire in the area.

We took a 5200 mile trip to Pennsylvania last year, so I am comfortable with the general logistics for charging, even off the supercharger grid, but I know local knowledge can be very important to making things easier and less stressful. Before we start calling hotels, I would appreciate any advice or insight from anyone with that local knowledge.

Thanks, AJ

The Christmas Hotel in Pigeon Forge is nice it was rated as one of the best in that area it is very reasonable and has a 80 amp. destination charger. The Titianic in Pigeon Forge has a 80 amp destination charger also If You charge at SC in Knoxville you will go thru a Pigeon Forge to Gatlinberg.

Beautiful country a lot to see enjoy your trip.

Gatlinburg is about 50 rated miles from the Knoxville Supercharger. You don't truly need destination charging, but it does make the trip more convenient.

I stayed at the Park Vista this past weekend. Nice hotel, no charging available. But, it is 1/4 mile up the hill from the Holiday Inn Vacation Club and Express, where there is a working Blink J1772. There is also a trolley. I drove the car down the hill, plugged in, caught the trolley up the hill, having already paid $2 for a day-long pass (or $0.50 per ride). Easy. But, reversing the process not so easy. Trolley comes down the hill, turns right going away from charger then loops around the whole area before heading backup. No Uber available. Rather than wait, or ask the driver if I could jump off at that right turn, I walked down the hill. Not hard but walking thru traffic switching back and forth to climb the hill. Next time I will likely try to convince trolley driver to let me jump off (there IS a sidewalk from that point down but not higher). Or stay at the Holiday Inn Express.

PS had to use the app to make the J1772 work, only 1 bar of Verizon, touch and go. Worked.

Just saw this weekend a ChargePoint station at Tanner Outlets in Pigeon Forge. I don't know enough about non-Tesla charging to know what level of service it is unfortunately. It says "complimentary" on the sign dunno if that means free charging or not...