Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gatwick Parking for Two Weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have left my car at Heathrow for 16 days in October with minimal energy loss and drove 1/4 of the way round the M 25 on our return. I did park next to but not occupying a Polar (or Pod cannot remember) charger space for peace of mind but did not have to use it. Just let the car go into deep sleep and do not keep looking at My Tesla as that wakes it up and uses energy.

Having just looked Heathrow is much better surrounded by Superchargers compared to Gatwick so I understand your concern.

Last edited:
that depends if you need charging of course!

There is a Tesla supercharger slated to open 2018 in Crawley but this might be too late for your trip

There are also some hotels with destination charging a taxi ride from the airport too, just search Tesla's charging map.

Other than that there are other chargers locally but then you are a bit into the lottery of do they work, what network are they on etc. - Zapmap your friend for that.

If you're heading back north then the nearest supercharger is Dartord (Bluewater), or Heathrow.
If you're a bit tight on range, then make sure you put the car in low power when you leave it to minimize loss while you are away.

I would suggest parking as fully charged as you can. turn off all the APPs that would try to wake the car (or turn off remote access on the Dash if you can live without being able to access the car whilst you are away).

Easiest way of disabling "ALL" APPs (assuming you have several ... I have the Tesla Phone APP, A.N.Other phone APP and two continuously-logging APPs TeslaFi and TeslaLog) is to change your Tesla Password. Otherwise there is a risk that things like Scheduled Events run [because you have forgotten that they are set etc.]. People other than me are probably well enough organised that that doesn't happen to them though?!!

How much charge do you think I'll loose? Will I be able to get to Bluewater to charge up on my return?

With energy-saving on/always-connected off, you should lose less than 1% per day.

Personally on the Gatwick run, I prefer to use Ecotricity/CHAdeMO at Clackett Lane rather than Bluewater - starting from Cambridge, I could just about make the round trip without charging, so only need a modest top-up, hence the slower charge at Clackett Lane is quicker overall than the diversion into Bluewater (must be an extra 15 mins on top of the charge time). It's also closer to the destination: I usually plan to charge on the outbound leg - so in case of worse-than-usual traffic on the M25, occupied charger or whatever I have the flexibility to skip it and do the charging on the way back.

Numbers probably add up similarly for you starting from Hertford.

Please do not under any circumstances park at a hotel destination charger and go in holiday for 2 weeks.

As mentioned just turn off always connected etc, no smart preconditioning, stop ant subscriptions to third parties who interrogate your car, don’t check 8n on your car twice a day, and you’ll lose about 1% a day.

No chance Crawley super chargers will be in place to help you, they’ve been imminent for 2 years and there’s no sign of them even finding a site let alone building them or sorting out a power supply.

WhiteCar valet parking service?

They will charge the car whilst you are away.

Tesla Valet Parking from Whitecar Valet | Serving LHR, LGW, MAN, EDI

A big change in their offering from the end of this month. You can only leave your car with them if you are prepared for it to be used as part of their hire fleet whilst you are away :eek:.

They decided the valet only service was detracting from their core business model. Fair play to them for having the acumen to focus on their core business, for me that's a deal breaker and I won't be availing myself of their previously excellent service in future.

• Helpful
Reactions: Terry_B58
for me that's a deal breaker

Thanks, didn't know that. Deal beaker for me too ... opportunity for a new player though ...

Expensive. £280 for two weeks!

Gatwick Long stay = "£25 per day for the first day and £20 for subsequent days" - for 14 days I make that £285 ... plus the hassle waiting for a transfer bus.

Although cheaper if you pre book - I tried from tomorrow for 14 days (dunno if more expensive at peak times?) "£87.00 regular, or £123.00 for Meet & Greet"

Is it just me, or is this yet another con-the-punter? Why would it be 328% more expensive if you didn't pre-book??

Is it just me, or is this yet another con-the-punter? Why would it be 328% more expensive if you didn't pre-book??

No different to your airfare - it's yield management in action, to ensure that they make use of (nearly) all the spaces by selling them cheap when there's low demand, yet make sure they always have a few spaces to spare (at a price) for people who turn up at the last minute.

The short stay can be 1000's of % more expensive if not pre-booked (the pre-booked price at non-busy times goes down close to the long-stay price).

it's yield management in action

Hmmm ... I'm probably being thick: how are they going to fill more parking spaces by discounting them? I doubt they are supply-constrained, and booking for "tomorrow" the discount is huge.

Of course if I try "Booking tomorrow" once we get to peak season I might see a different figure, but if they are not supply-constrained right now why would they give so much discount for tomorrow?

Personally I think its:
  • Rip off all customers who don't realise to pre-book
  • Rip off some other punters who pre-book and then fail to turn up, for whatever reason.
Same thing with advance purchase of train tickets. Why significantly cheaper? I could understand if there was some benefit to early-booking, for the supplier, such as having the opportunity to lay on additional services (once excess demand becomes apparent), but I don't see Gatwick Car-parks or Train Company doing that on a adhoc basis :rolleyes:

Well, they certainly are supply constrained to a degree (everybody would park in the short-stay if it was cheap) and they clearly use the variable pricing to spread the demand across short-stay, long-stay and third-party providers while extracting the highest yield. This much I think is also positive for the customer.

Admittedly, the walk-up vs pre-booked is more about market segmentation - allowing them to capture the customers that will only buy at a lower price (but are likely to check it in advance and discover the pre-book option), without having to offer that low price to less price-sensitive customers who just turn up and pay what they have to. This bit isn't at all positive for the customer, but it is for the operator and it's the way of the world nowadays however much you (or I) dislike it.

My Tesla went in at MK for some warranty work two weeks ago. I got it back on Friday and they had completely missed what it went for. They suggested I keep their BMW diesel courtesy car until I got back. I checked that into purple parking. Sorted.

Not Gatwick I know,

but we just took a break from Heathrow , booked Leonardo Hotel (as have been caught too many times in M25 traffic round that area) with up to 8 days parking which is under the hotel so no giving the keys to your pride and joy to some unknown individuals, incl 2x breakfast for £120. <10 min taxi ride (desk will arrange) for a tenner.
Stress free, sorted and cheaper than the carparks.