Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gauging interest in kit for front camera/tocuhscreen parking & bumper protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the front camera touchscreen parking protection system nearing completion, I’ve had a number of owners PM me about making a DYI kit available.

This post is to determine the level of serious interest in a kit, to set out what the kit will include, and to provide a means for owners to reserve a place in line for the kit when they are available. Here’s what I’m planning.

The basic camera kit will include a custom PCB with the following components soldered on board:

· Three Fakra male plugs for connecting the cables from the touchscreen and from and rear cameras.

· Panasonic or equivalent DPDT digital switch

· Conductive foam shielding to minimize signal interference

· Installation instructions

While I have not made a determination of the final cost of the basic kit, I’m estimating about $200, with the major variable the cost of labor to make the PCBs, drill the component holes, solder on the components, and test it all. I don’t have the time or interest to do this myself so I’ll be jobbing this out to a local supplier.

Additional items needed:

Cables:

A custom cable kit for connecting the front camera, touchscreen and rear camera to the PCB can be purchased separately from a supplier in China with whom I made special arrangements: http://www.rfsupplier.com/. The cable kit will be called “Tesla Front Camera Cable Kit” and should be available next week on the company’s web site and eBay store. The cost should be about $100.

Each cable will have Fakra female jacks on either end for connections to the Fakra PCB male plugs and male Fakra plugs on the ends of the Tesla rear camera cable (and front camera) as well as the touchscreen cable.

Tesla Rear Camera for front mount:

As for the additional Tesla rear camera needed, for now the only recourse appears for each kit buyer to purchase a spare rear camera from Tesla. That will set buyers back about $350. Please note that the image from this camera on the touchscreen will be reversed on the horizontal plane (as of now I’ve not figured out a way to rectify this).

If you’re seriously interested in purchasing the camera PCB kit, please email me at [email protected]. I will keep a list of those expressing interest in the order emails are received, and kits will be sold and delivered in that order. It’s hard to estimate now when the kits will be available, but depending on the level of interest my best judgment now is about 4-6 weeks from now.

With the front camera touchscreen parking protection system nearing completion, I’ve had a number of owners PM me about making a DYI kit available.

This post is to determine the level of serious interest in a kit, to set out what the kit will include, and to provide a means for owners to reserve a place in line for the kit when they are available. Here’s what I’m planning.

Consider me committed. Appreciate your work on this project

Mahalo

@artsci

I think that you are doing a good work. May I suggest you to develop your front camera touchscreen protection system in order to get a real pedestrian and obstacle detection system?
If you managed to implement such a system I think that then Tesla should employee you to install it on all Model S. :cool:

DriverOne,

This is the thread that artsci is using to let us sign up if we are interested in reaping the rewards of his efforts. We recommend you look in this section for the thread named "Wireless front parking camera with monitor for front bumper protection". The name of the thread does not accurately describe how artsci has morphed this project into a superior approach over a wireless cam.

You can read the last half and get an idea of his advances. But to appreciate fully what he has learned, its worth reading all 25+ pages.

If he makes any money on this it will only help him break even for his efforts. And any money that he makes it not enough considering what he has taught all of us. I guess what I am saying is that we have to do our own homework to learn the history and what this project will do. Reading his Wireless front camera thread is valuable information.

DriverOne,

This is the thread that artsci is using to let us sign up if we are interested in reaping the rewards of his efforts. We recommend you look in this section for the thread named "Wireless front parking camera with monitor for front bumper protection". The name of the thread does not accurately describe how artsci has morphed this project into a superior approach over a wireless cam.

You can read the last half and get an idea of his advances. But to appreciate fully what he has learned, its worth reading all 25+ pages.

If he makes any money on this it will only help him break even for his efforts. And any money that he makes it not enough considering what he has taught all of us. I guess what I am saying is that we have to do our own homework to learn the history and what this project will do. Reading his Wireless front camera thread is valuable information.

This will basically be done at cost. I couldn't have gotten this far without the help of many members of this forum so let's just call this payback to the Model S community. The time invested is considerable but it was nothing but fun for me.

Of course, I'm not done yet. I have to get the prototype working first. I'm soldering up the PCB and components tomorrow then just waiting for the cables to arrive from China.

I'm interested. I hate to be picky with all the great work you've done, but I would like to see if the reversed image can be addressed before committing. I'm all in once that happens. I can figure out the homelink control or hidden rocker switch after the fact.

If there was only some way to connect this to the built-in touch screen display (perhaps replacing the feed from the rear camera)...

I am not 100% up to speed on this project, but it does use the touchscreen. It projects either the front or rear camera to the camera display on the screen. You have a separate switch (not on the screen) that toggles the front or back camera.

If there was only some way to connect this to the built-in touch screen display (perhaps replacing the feed from the rear camera)...

That's precisely what this does. And it enables you to switch from the rear to front camera via Homelink or a conventional switch.

- - - Updated - - -

Is Homelink required?

No, a conventional on/off switch will work.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm interested. I hate to be picky with all the great work you've done, but I would like to see if the reversed image can be addressed before committing. I'm all in once that happens. I can figure out the homelink control or hidden rocker switch after the fact.

I'm working on that with a tech who has much more expertise than me. But first he wants to see how the current set up works, particularly if there's any interference with the signal. Once we're sure that the PCB design and components we're using present a perfect image, we'll then turn to inverting the image on the horizontal plane. But don't hold your breath: this appears not to be an easy solution.

I'm working on that with a tech who has much more expertise than me. But first he wants to see how the current set up works, particularly if there's any interference with the signal. Once we're sure that the PCB design and components we're using present a perfect image, we'll then turn to inverting the image on the horizontal plane. But don't hold your breath: this appears not to be an easy solution.
What protocol is on those wires? Lvds?