TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Gauging interest on NEW accessory (PICS INCLUDED)

Discussion in 'Tesla Parts for Sale' started by NikolAccessories, Feb 7, 2013.

1. NikolAccessories

Hello all,
    Have been a long time lurker and enthusiast. No reservation yet but hopefully in the near future. How many people on here would be interested in a USB stick that is made to duplicate the key fob to access your car. Would be shaped the same(minus the logos for copyright purposes) with a slide underneath for the USB stick to come out. Will have a keyring attached to put on your keychain. Would look like the pictures attached. Just trying to gauge interest before making the investment. Thanks for your time and have a great day!

Attached Files:

2. NikolAccessories

100 Views and no replies... Guess there isn't as much of an interest as I thought there would be

3. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

It's cute, I wouldn't mind having one if it was really cheap. For the car itself, however, I want something much smaller and more compact to fit in the USB slot...something that would almost sit flush.
    It would be a great door prize or a give away thing at a conference or something, but if most people are like me they have about 30 thumb drives sitting around and adding another, even a cool Tesla one, isn't really that big of a deal. Not trying to speak for everyone, but that's what this 1 out of 100 viewers thought when I saw the idea.

4. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

For my Model S, I use those really tiny USB drives and would not even consider anything that was closer to the standard size. That said having one the shape of the Model S, if it weren't too expensive, would be neat to show.

5. NikolAccessories

Great thanks for the feedback!

- - - Updated - - -

Right. I haden't considered the amount of space it would protrude from the console. Thanks for the input.

6. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Approach Tesla. This would be something for the stores, either to sell or as a give-away to visitors or reservation makers. Filled with high-res media of the car? At press events? Etc etc.

7. NikolAccessories

Tried. They didn't give me the time of day. They were to busy making cars I assumed. :tongue:

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I realize people are used to instant gratification these days but posting at 1am and then being upset at no replies by 9am is a bit much.

"Interest" is often very price sensitive. Give us a ballpark, please. $10? $1,000? $3.50? Also, what capacity of storage? I was barely interested enough in the Tron keys to buy the 4GB variety, because the capacity was so small.

9. NikolAccessories

Agreed and thanks for the feedback. After looking at costs an 8gb would start at $20 up to a 64gb at 40-$50 they would be sliders,, come with a keychain lanyard like everyone's fob should have, and eventually come in the color to match the car.

10. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

These come up on ebay il_fullxfull.329448558.jpg

il_570xN.402625487_6yay.jpg

12. clea

clea Member

13. NikolAccessories

Too bad. On to the next business venture. Bigger sun visors with good mirrors that have lights installed!

14. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

How about a shade for the pano, or an armrest with cup holders for the 2nd row.

15. NikolAccessories

Good call on the rear armrest. Mounting would be difficult... I was told Tesla was coming out with the sun shade though.

16. Soflason

Soflason Member

Definitely interested, cool concept...

17. NikolAccessories

Thanks Soflason. I think I am going to pursue it. Fighting the battle of keeping the work here in the states right now.

18. Soflason

Soflason Member

Happy we did, and in retrospect, better for many reasons. Keep everyone posted on it, very cool concept...

19. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Matt,

As others have said this would be an interesting low cost give-away, but if the intent is to use it in a Model S the space considerations for such a large USB drive become even more of an issue if you have installed a CCI. :wink:

CCI 6.jpg

Larry

20. Soflason

Soflason Member

Indeed, Larry: looks like your USB wand is a good fit (as are most) but good point - the dimensions on the key fob with USB might be too long depending on exact measurements, would love to try it out...