Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gear Play

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a P90DL with about 2K miles. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about how the car works so that I can care for it properly while enjoying it to the fullest. Recently I noticed that when I engage the accelerator after it has been in reverse or regen, I feel a small, silent "bumb" before acceleration begins. I've driven manuals all my life and it feels like the gear play you experience going between engine braking and acceleration. I think most people wouldn't even notice it, but I (to my detriment sometimes) am hyper-aware of what I feel, hear, and smell from my cars.

To the gearheads, is this normal "break-in"? My concern is that "any" play might accelerate the condition because of the motors' ludicrous torque. My hope is that the single speed transmission, being much simpler than a typical multi-speed transmission, would be more robust and able to take the abuse from the motors. I would especially like to hear from other "P" owners that have some time and miles on their S. Thanks.

I think I've noticed this too and I'm not as sensitive to it anymore since I have 32K+ miles on my P85DL. I believe this to be normal and it has not gotten worse or more prominent over the 1.5 years/32K+ miles. Doesn't hurt to mention it to the Service Center (or Ranger, if that's the case), the next time you see them just to make sure it's within spec.

Congrats and enjoy!!

Reactions: linkster
If you're concerned bring it up with the service center, no harm in asking. Most likely it is normal and won't cause any problems.

A clunk or bump might also result from CV joints or motor splines. Not necessarily a reduction gear issue.

Reactions: linkster
My P85 just started making a slight click / clunk (not really as much of a clunk, very subtle, I can only notice with the windows down and A/C off). I remember on my 60, we had the spline issue where they replaced the drive unit, but I remember reading that it's a design flaw and the fix isn't permanent. Any idea if that's been addressed? Guess I should bring it up to my service manager.

As an update, tonight I made a quick run out to pickup some dinner, maybe a 2 mile trip each way, and I transitioned from forward to coasting, to regen a bit more aggressively than usual, but not jackrabbit starts... The spline noise was more pronounced, and towards the end of my trip was creaking kind of like this:
Left creak, Right creak, left creak, right creak, creak together.... And this would happen with ver little accelerator. I decided to call Tesla, as I'm taking the car on a trip and didn't want to stand the family. I am supposed to take it in for a tech to do a ride along and listen to the noise.

Hoping it's not a major concern, or that I can get an X loaner for the trip ;-) .... Hey, trying to stay positive and upbeat. Will let you know how I make out.

Ok, Met at the local service center with a tech and did a drive along.
I have been told:
The clicking is usually caused by corrosion buildup, and a loosening of the connection to the drive unit. A washer is replaced and then everything is torqued down to spec and that is the fix. I was told additionally that a Clicking sound is okay, but a CLUNK is not. If you hear a clunk, reach out to them sooner rather than later.

So I have my yearly scheduled for the beginning of August, and they'll address this as well as the other wear and maintenance items at that time. Cleared for long distance travel ;-)

Reactions: benjiejr