TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Gear Play

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by randall_s, Jun 28, 2016.

1. randall_s

randall_s Member

I have a P90DL with about 2K miles. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about how the car works so that I can care for it properly while enjoying it to the fullest. Recently I noticed that when I engage the accelerator after it has been in reverse or regen, I feel a small, silent "bumb" before acceleration begins. I've driven manuals all my life and it feels like the gear play you experience going between engine braking and acceleration. I think most people wouldn't even notice it, but I (to my detriment sometimes) am hyper-aware of what I feel, hear, and smell from my cars.

To the gearheads, is this normal "break-in"? My concern is that "any" play might accelerate the condition because of the motors' ludicrous torque. My hope is that the single speed transmission, being much simpler than a typical multi-speed transmission, would be more robust and able to take the abuse from the motors. I would especially like to hear from other "P" owners that have some time and miles on their S. Thanks.

2. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

I think I've noticed this too and I'm not as sensitive to it anymore since I have 32K+ miles on my P85DL. I believe this to be normal and it has not gotten worse or more prominent over the 1.5 years/32K+ miles. Doesn't hurt to mention it to the Service Center (or Ranger, if that's the case), the next time you see them just to make sure it's within spec.

Congrats and enjoy!!

• Like x 1
  3. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

If you're concerned bring it up with the service center, no harm in asking. Most likely it is normal and won't cause any problems.

A clunk or bump might also result from CV joints or motor splines. Not necessarily a reduction gear issue.

• Like x 1
  4. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

There's a bit of gear slop.

Completely normal.

5. randall_s

randall_s Member

You're right. It may not even be a gear. A reminder not to be presumptive.

6. stsanford

stsanford Member

My P85 just started making a slight click / clunk (not really as much of a clunk, very subtle, I can only notice with the windows down and A/C off). I remember on my 60, we had the spline issue where they replaced the drive unit, but I remember reading that it's a design flaw and the fix isn't permanent. Any idea if that's been addressed? Guess I should bring it up to my service manager.

7. randall_s

randall_s Member

I found this teardown video, which is great and I'm looking for more. Anyone seen a complete drivetrain teardown?

8. stsanford

stsanford Member

As an update, tonight I made a quick run out to pickup some dinner, maybe a 2 mile trip each way, and I transitioned from forward to coasting, to regen a bit more aggressively than usual, but not jackrabbit starts... The spline noise was more pronounced, and towards the end of my trip was creaking kind of like this:
    Left creak, Right creak, left creak, right creak, creak together.... And this would happen with ver little accelerator. I decided to call Tesla, as I'm taking the car on a trip and didn't want to stand the family. I am supposed to take it in for a tech to do a ride along and listen to the noise.

Hoping it's not a major concern, or that I can get an X loaner for the trip ;-) .... Hey, trying to stay positive and upbeat. Will let you know how I make out.

9. stsanford

stsanford Member

Ok, Met at the local service center with a tech and did a drive along.
    I have been told:
    The clicking is usually caused by corrosion buildup, and a loosening of the connection to the drive unit. A washer is replaced and then everything is torqued down to spec and that is the fix. I was told additionally that a Clicking sound is okay, but a CLUNK is not. If you hear a clunk, reach out to them sooner rather than later.

So I have my yearly scheduled for the beginning of August, and they'll address this as well as the other wear and maintenance items at that time. Cleared for long distance travel ;-)

• Like x 1