Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Gearbox fluid recommended" warning

Have you seen the "Gearbox fluid recommended" warning on your screen?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This warning appeared yesterday on my Model 3 LR AWD, 6 months old, 12,000 km. I have been charging it at home at 110V. The warning appeared after I charged it at a supercharger. Likely the first time in a month the battery has been fully warmed up.

Got my car serviced at the SF service center, and according the few Tesla techs I spoke to about this gearbox fluid warning, recent firmware updates have made it more sensitive to the level at which the fluid must be. Many owners have been bringing their car in for the same reason.

My service invoice was not very descriptive, but here it is anyway (they originally wanted to charge me $78 for the labor but I refused, so they did it under warranty):

Tesla.png

Last night I received an interesting message on my display:

View attachment 487259

After speaking to the service center, they said it was a preventative message that is fairly widespread and I should bring my car in, but can continue to drive as is fine.

Interestingly enough, the message appeared shortly after I updated to 2019.40.2.1, so I'm not sure if it's a new "feature" in terms of being able to sense gearbox fluid now or not.

Curious to know if anyone else has seen this message?

Could you PLEASE tell me HOW to call Tesla Service? I have tried NUMEROUS times to use the App to schedule a service appointment for this "Gearbox Fluid warning" and other issues...but the Service portion of the App dies NOT recognize my location (home address). The App shows the car at our Home address, but we cannot get past the "select location" page on the App. This is VERY, VERY frustrating and I expect better than this on a $60K car purchase. Please help. I cannot find ANY phone number that does not result in some senseless, endless loop telling my to "cheap App Support online" (NO help at all).

Could you PLEASE tell me HOW to call Tesla Service? I have tried NUMEROUS times to use the App to schedule a service appointment for this "Gearbox Fluid warning" and other issues...but the Service portion of the App dies NOT recognize my location (home address). The App shows the car at our Home address, but we cannot get past the "select location" page on the App. This is VERY, VERY frustrating and I expect better than this on a $60K car purchase. Please help. I cannot find ANY phone number that does not result in some senseless, endless loop telling my to "cheap App Support online" (NO help at all).

Sorty to hear you’re having problems. Whenever I schedule service appointments through the mobile Tesla app, I actually have to enter the address where I’d like to have the service tech come out to.

Otherwise, call the local number of your Tesla service center, select 2 for service, and 2 again to speak to someone.

Hope this helps!

Got my car serviced at the SF service center, and according the few Tesla techs I spoke to about this gearbox fluid warning, recent firmware updates have made it more sensitive to the level at which the fluid must be. Many owners have been bringing their car in for the same reason.

My service invoice was not very descriptive, but here it is anyway (they originally wanted to charge me $78 for the labor but I refused, so they did it under warranty):

View attachment 488927

wait ... they WANTED to charge $78 for that? how can this be NOT warranty ? the gearbox fluid should definitely NOT need topping off or replacement .... heck ... a 6 speed automatic tranny goes 70k+ miles with most manufacturer without needing any flush. let alone "topping off" fluid.

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
wait ... they WANTED to charge $78 for that? how can this be NOT warranty ? the gearbox fluid should definitely NOT need topping off or replacement .... heck ... a 6 speed automatic tranny goes 70k+ miles with most manufacturer without needing any flush. let alone "topping off" fluid.

Bad service rep. He was also very passive aggressive in his tone of voice and choice of words, e.g. “I’m not trying to be confrontational” be he really was. Escalated to a manager and had everything taken care of (including another issue their mobile tech created a few days earlier).
This is a far cry from the excellent service I used to get with my P85D, back in the day... sigh.

Bad service rep. He was also very passive aggressive in his tone of voice and choice of words, e.g. “I’m not trying to be confrontational” be he really was. Escalated to a manager and had everything taken care of (including another issue their mobile tech created a few days earlier).
This is a far cry from the excellent service I used to get with my P85D, back in the day... sigh.

Glad it worked out for you and was not any major issue. If the issue is not part of recommended maintenance and it seems according to Tesla it is not, then this should be covered under warranty. Now is Tesla manual said fluid much be changed every so often and you got close to that time, then yes.

Got the same message first week of Dec 2019. Fremont Service Center couldn’t find anything wrong on 12/5/19. Took it home same day and each day after, the message came up. It would go away after exiting the vehicle. And after 30-60 minutes of driving, the message would come back. Got an appointment at Berkeley SC to see if they can figure it out. I also have a feeling that a recent software update included some changes to parameter of a gearbox sensor. Glad I’m not the only one getting this.

Attachments

• DDA4A2AC-A09F-404F-A762-310B92E6BDDA.jpeg
    DDA4A2AC-A09F-404F-A762-310B92E6BDDA.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 115
Since this is the only car forum without a fight over oil, can we put this here?

I'm a synthetic guy myself, with a pint of Marvel Myetery Oil added. The zinc helps protect the exhaust valve guides.

Anyone want to fight about Castrol GTX, Mobile 1, or Wallmart's house brand? Anyone?
You’re wasting your money. All you need is discarded McDonalds fry oil.

wait ... they WANTED to charge $78 for that?
I haven’t had to have any warranty service work done yet but comments from others in the forum point to the “labor” charge as a routine diagnostic fee. If the repair falls under warranty, which in this case it definitely would, then the diagnostic labor fee is removed. Now, if the SC wanted to charge for labor after the warranty repair was completed, then that’s a different story. I wouldn’t pay the labor fee either

Reactions: focher
I got this message myself a few days ago. Looks like I have to drive 3 hours for the Latham, NY center to diagnose it. This 3 hour drive essentially wastes a whole day for me and when i called, they had never heard of the error or really understood what the outcome would be.

Just wanted to see if the message ever appeared again after the service... Thx.

View attachment 488927

Since this is the only car forum without a fight over oil, can we put this here?

I'm a synthetic guy myself, with a pint of Marvel Myetery Oil added. The zinc helps protect the exhaust valve guides.

Anyone want to fight about Castrol GTX, Mobile 1, or Wallmart's house brand? Anyone?

Walmart's house brand, full synthetic, scored highly in independent testing for severe usage. I use it exclusively in the S2000 for track days. Anyone who pays $$$ for the other brands you listed is a sucker IMO

Just got this on a run from Melbourne to Canberra. It came up after my very first use of a supercharger on the last leg. The other stops were at Chargefox sites. Mid 30°s Celsius and a lot of smoke and dust in the air due to bush fires. Car is a 2020 SR+ that just clicked over 1000km. Another 700km to get home before i get to experience the sevice process.