Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geek out read out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love data. I would want as much as they could give. Ideally they would give you a log!

Instantaneous power usage. 5sec rolling time average. 30sec rolling time average.
Instantaneous voltage reading. 5sec rolling time average. 30sec rolling time average.
Instantaneous current reading. 5sec rolling time average. 30sec rolling time average.
Full GPS readout (Lat, Long, time, elevation)
Current speed GPS.
Current speed Motor/drivetrain RPM.
Direction of travel.
Any accelerometer data that they have (hopefully roll and pitch info, as well as 3 axis acceleration)
Pack temperature.
Pack capacity.
Outside temperature.
Accessory usage (what was on, what was off)
Status of all driver settings (creep on/off, suspension setting, ... etc.)

Just for starters.

In simple terms, I need to know if I have enough "juice" to get from point A to point B, maybe even a point C and D thrown in there on any trips I take. And now the important part: how much "fun" (quick acceleration, over speeding, hard braking, etc) I can do while driving and still reach my destination with xxx miles to spare. The logarithm used must be able to figure out on the fly my driving habits as well as account for terrain and weather.

How all those variables are incorporated into an energy package and displayed so I can make sense of it and it is easy to read, I will leave to Tesla to figure out.

Displaying all the behind the scenes calculations and operating parameters I think would overload my already taxed brain; so while nice to have probably would not use.

There are two approaches to this; one is to provide as much raw data as possible and the other one is to synthesize it to help certain forms of understanding. They are not exclusive.

ElSupreme's list is interesting as raw data; i would add
- Ascent /descent rates 5& 10 sec for those of us near hilly areas.
- Tire pressure if available

Tommy's synthesis seems a useful one.

I would hope that just like apple/google improve maps based on devices sending in data; that Tesla can optimize range calculations by taking in data from vehicles to understand both the vehicle and road components. If I commute certain distances at certain times with certain battery states, car loads, traffic conditions, weather, driving styles, etc etc they can get readouts of actual kWh used for the trip. Would love to know that data is being anonymized, chunked up, aggregated, and digested to inform my own, and others', range calculations.
In biosurveillance we do this sort of thing when modeling complex stuff and it can be surprising how using some real-world factors to change otherwise linear models yields more realistic prediction.

OTOH, right now all I really want is all their energies focused on the production line throughput & quality!

I think Tesla did a great job with the Roadster. The VDS, mostly, gives me:

Energy:
watts/mile trip,
Graph and values of last 30 miles, 15 miles, 5 miles and .1 mile.
Direction of travel,
Elevation
Speed
Temperature outside
Temp of battery
Temp of PEM
Temp of motor
Current
KW usage
Accelerometer
HP (peak, instantanious)
Torque (peak, instantanious)

Distance to empty ideal
Distance to empty actual

With this data I can easily calculate how far I can go.

This is far more data than I have had in any other car.

Hmmm, design time!

Already have pretty good estimating engines and graphs for energy usage. Already have KWH remaining. Watts/mile trip would be nice. Building on dhrivnak's listing of the Roadster VDS options...

Here's the "main" graph: watts/mile with a touch toggle at top mid (or wherever Tesla's standard place is) for -- trip / last .1 / last 5 / last 15 / last 30. X and Y axis data shown along left and bottom as usual. Along the right side are three toggle-able readouts for -- clear (no data displayed; let the graph show in that spot instead) / temp (various) / speed / elevation / direction / acceleromter / HP (peak & inst in same line) / Torque (peak & inst). A pure data screen would be fine too, with same kind of toggle customization.

It would be really cool if could do graph overlays; watts/mile for the range overlayed with elevation changes/mile or minute. Double Y-axis time! Limit that down slightly; only 2 overlays, maybe no X-axis change ever and the ability to choose which two graphs. E.G. HP and Torque, watts and speed, etc. A double punch menu for the display could work. 3 overlays might not be too many...

Save the graph and data screen customizations per profile.

And for the number crunchers, it would be nice to save all logs to a USB on a button press.

In simple terms, I need to know if I have enough "juice" to get from point A to point B...

Tommy is spot on. While it would be fun for us nerds to have all sorts of additional information, the real important stuff is completing your journey in the quickest possible time (and of course, without running out of juice)

That means that power consumption is combined with the Navigation System. Enter a destination and the car should tell us where we should charge and how fast we can drive to that charge station. Like Google maps gives you the option to choose route variations, Model S should let us choose which charge stations we want to charge at and recalculate accordingly. It would also be good if backup charge stations were also listed/mentioned in case the station we're aimed for is down/occupied.

Given that some trips are round trips or have some waypoints, it really should have a "plan your day" feature so that all your trips and power needs are accounted for.

Most importantly, Tesla should start collection power consumption on every road every Model S travels on (anonymously, of course). That way Tesla can build up a crowd-sourced profile of how much power it takes Model S to travel from any point to any other point at various speeds. That way, the car could accurately instruct you as to how fast you can go, or conversely, how much power you'll consume at whatever speed you're deciding to travel at.