Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geeking out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All my life I’ve been pragmatic. I’ve driven Toyotas and Hondas. I’ve never had a “nice” car, nor a fast car. Certainly not a beautiful car. My 2014 Prius Plug In was paid off.

I was living an ordinary life until 11 days ago when I made an appointment to test drive the M3. 24 hours later, my new Tesla was in my driveway.

Life hasn’t been the same since and I don’t have anyone else I can tell without sounding like I’m bragging. I figured you guys would understand.

My story's similar; my Model 3, which I received on Saturday, replaces a Chevy Volt. (The Volt is a lease, and I've still got it, but I'll be returning it soon.)

The list of cars being traded in for Model 3s is a peculiar assortment:
  • Toyota Prius
  • BMW 3-Series
  • Honda Accord
  • Honda Civic
  • Nissan Leaf

Caved on New Year's Eve last year, gave up my 3 Series. Couldn't be happer... although I live in an apartment and have a 100' extension cord running through my kitchen, living room, out the window, down the side of the building, and across the grass to get a pitiful charge, but I do it with a grin on my face. :D

Caved on New Year's Eve last year, gave up my 3 Series. Couldn't be happer... although I live in an apartment and have a 100' extension cord running through my kitchen, living room, out the window, down the side of the building, and across the grass to get a pitiful charge, but I do it with a grin on my face. :D
I get it, it’s totally worth it!

All my life I’ve been pragmatic. I’ve driven Toyotas and Hondas. I’ve never had a “nice” car, nor a fast car. Certainly not a beautiful car. My 2014 Prius Plug In was paid off.

My first car ever bought was VW Jetta in 2003 for $16,400 at 2% interest a year or so after I completed my bachelors. Before that I was on bicycle and public transport.

It has been a great car, but after 10-year mark around 2015 or so anything being held in place by adhesive glue started coming loose. The canopy cloth hangs loose now and the insulation from inside the AC ventilation ducts flew out in chunks over time. By 2016 I was thinking do I replace or find a way to repair the AC insulation and canopy etc. I still have it and it still works, just loose canopy and poor AC still.

Then comes the Tesla Model 3 announcement where the car would be $35,000. I had been interested in Tesla, but from a distance like I would view Porche or BMW or other luxury brands I considered out of reach or impractical and here was a car that looks like a Porche in the front with price of a high-trim Sedan. So I put in my reservation and decided to just hold on to my Jetta as long as it takes for the Model 3 to become available.

Of course it took over 2 1/2 years of waiting, and I did end up buying something for roughly $61,500 (Delivered - FTC) instead of the $35,000 I was expecting to spend, but it was paid for in full really by me buying Tesla stocks between 2016 after I put reservation and when I got it. This because the whole time I was waiting (adding more funds to stock like I am making monthly payments), the Tesla stock just grew very favorably, so come time to make full payment, I was able to sell, and the profits alone covered full cost of this premium luxury vehicle I expect to last me 10+ years.

I am very happy with Tesla car. It will be very hard for me to take any other car seriously without similar suite of features including being an EV with Supercharger network and the Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving features. Also, there is no going back from the LTE connected large easy to use navigation screen that never has outdated maps. Being able to control things with voice or using large touch screen is too much better than using smartphone to provide navigation.

Note: While my Model 3 is my 2nd car ever, I have bought 3 different vehicles for my wife (Mazda 3 basic new, then KIA Sedona basic used when we had twins, then KIA Sedona 2015 highest trim new), so I wasn't completely out of loop on car technology improvements between my 2003 VW Jetta and 2018 Tesla Model 3. The Model 3 is still a huge jump ahead of anything else including anything else we have taken test drives on. I haven't put reservation yet, but I expect by time Model Y is available, we should be able to replace my wife KIA Sedona minivan with that. In meantime, I am going to try and save up for that eventual transaction. It is much costlier and riskier now to buy Tesla stock, but I still believe that the company hasn't peaked. As an owner I can see how rapidly the car I bought in September 2018 keeps improving every 2-3 weeks with software updates while the cost of ownership for new buyers keeps improving so I believe the future of Tesla is going to be lot more customers geeking out once they also get their hands on one.

Last edited:
I have the very same experience as LDMD7. I was driving a 2002 Honda Civic for 14 years and then in December, 2018 we got our Model 3. I've never been that much of a car guy, but the Model 3 is just flat-out fun to drive. Let me tell you, LDMD7, four months in I am still loving it. And I also feel as if I am a member of a new community. I still get excited every time I spot another Tesla on the road and pulling into a supercharger is like a family reunion!

I was living an ordinary life until 11 days ago when I made an appointment to test drive the M3. 24 hours later, my new Tesla was in my driveway.

Life hasn’t been the same since and I don’t have anyone else I can tell without sounding like I’m bragging. I figured you guys would understand.

Pretty much the same situation for Me as well. I moved from a Honda Accord 6V to a 2011 Nissan Leaf and then another Leaf in 2014. My M3LR is fun to drive. And I can use the heat whereas I couldn't in the LEAFs . I'm a happy camper.

@LDMD7 we do get how you feel :D. The amazing thing is that so many Tesla owners come from exactly your car owning background.

Having been first a Honda owner for years since I think the 70s (several Civics and then last one was an Accord) and then Toyota (we owned 2 before going Tesla), I can definitely tell you I never expected we would own cars at this price point or enjoy driving one as much as we do now with our Teslas. Held on to my Avalon for 17 years praying it would last long enough to get the Model 3 AWD version. My Accord I drove until it was taken to the crushing lot due to not passing the last smog check and not worth putting more money into it. In general we always took our cars into for regular maintenance and kept them in good shape. I'm hoping to have my Model 3 for many years too (not 17 I'm sure but could see this being my last car or next to last car barring any accidents with it). It simply is the best car I've owned. I suppose no one but you guys here would understand just how much I love sitting in my car, having my morning coffee after Starbuck drivethru, and listening to streaming music or local news in their parking lot. Such a relaxing, enjoyable start to my day. Oh and then there's the driving part of it! ;)

I picked up my Black M3 DM LR with 19s. I love it! I've raced many cars on the track, Porsches, S2 and Formula cars, winning the Pro FM series in 1996. On the street, I've owned/driven a number of Porsches, including 2018 911 Turbo S. My M3, although clearly not able to compete with some of the cars I've driven, is awesome. It is so easy to drive, 35 Mile commute each direction in Bay Area traffic, but it also handles like a go cart and has great acceleration at a great value point. I'm very happy!!!!

Yup. Me too. What a change!

I think it's pretty cool to take the "average" car owner/driver out there and turn them into someone who Loves their car, thinks driving their car is Fun and no longer looks at their car as something that gets them from one place to another. Improving the air quality and not using gas and oil another big win...unless you work for or have stock in those companies I guess ;).

My previous car was a Honda insight. I'm extremely happy with my LR RWD model 3. It's an amazing car. Will be a year for me in June and still love how it feels to drive.