Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geeky question about dc charging for old Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ThisStockGood

Still cruising my Model S 70 2015
Aug 28, 2016
Denmark
The case: An old Model S from 2013, no free supercharging bought back in the days when the car was delivered.

Will this car be able to fast charge/DC charge on Superchargers today (pay as you go) and other dc chargers? (I’m in Europe)

Thx

I don't see why it wouldn't, unless the car was in a major collision and has a salvage title? Also, the Supercharging speed may be throttled on an older battery (if it still has the original one).

The case: An old Model S from 2013, no free supercharging bought back in the days when the car was delivered.
Can you elaborate on what specific model this is? Back in the 2013 time frame, they only had the 60 and 85 battery sizes. The 85 versions all came with Supercharging included, and it was the full unlimited. The 60 ones did not come authorized with Supercharging on the base version. It was an option during ordering. I think it was $2,000 if placed in the original configuration order or $2,500 if it was added later once you had the car.

So is this a Model S60?

Reactions: MP3Mike
Can you elaborate on what specific model this is? Back in the 2013 time frame, they only had the 60 and 85 battery sizes. The 85 versions all came with Supercharging included, and it was the full unlimited. The 60 ones did not come authorized with Supercharging on the base version. It was an option during ordering. I think it was $2,000 if placed in the original configuration order or $2,500 if it was added later once you had the car.

So is this a Model S60?
Yes, Im talking about the 60.

I’m aware that you had to pay for the unlimited supercharging option - but is it true, that without that payment it wasn’t possible to DC charge the car at all?

I’m aware that you had to pay for the unlimited supercharging option - but is it true, that without that payment it wasn’t possible to DC charge the car at all?
Correct. As I recall if you didn't want to pay for the Free Supercharging they charged $1000, or $1500, to enable DC charging via the CHAdeMO adapter.

I don't know if they still charge for that, and if it would enable pay-as-you-go Supercharging now or not.

Correct. That was literally to enable the ability to use the Supercharger network. And it included turning on the ability for the car to use DC fast charging of any kind (the CHAdeMO adapter--bought separately).

Correct. As I recall if you didn't want to pay for the Free Supercharging they charged $1000, or $1500, to enable DC charging via the CHAdeMO adapter.

I don't know if they still charge for that, and if it would enable pay-as-you-go Supercharging now or not.
Right, there was that separate cheaper fee to enable DC fast charging with CHAdeMO, but still wouldn't allow use of Supercharger stations.

As it stood back then, Supercharging was all or nothing, so no, but that's an interesting question now that pay per use has been created if that would be possible with that plan or not. I don't think I've seen that asked before.