Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geico covers FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty much what the subject says.

I wrote in to ask whether they'd cover the cost of FSD on a replacement vehicle if my current one gets totaled. Their initial answer was no:

We apologize for any frustration; however, we are unable to presently add the self-driving option as a covered customization on your policy.​

So I politely responded, asking for clarification:

Would it be possible to explain the reason for this? I know that you cover the Performance option, even though it's just as much a software update as FSD. What are the distinguishing criteria?​

This apparently stumped them, so they agreed:

We apologize for any confusion regarding the coverage for the self-driving feature in your vehicle.

Rest assured, since the vehicle is manufactured with this feature, it is automatically included in your coverage, and there is no need to add it as a customization.​

So, either I'm a brilliant lawyer or polite persistence pays. I recommend checking in with your insurer to get their assurance that they'll cover your FSD. And if they won't, Geico has decent rates. Note that, from their wording, they only cover FSD if you buy the car with that option, not if you later upgrade to it (and obviously not if it's a monthly subscription, as I've heard threatened).

HTH

Pretty much what the subject says.

I wrote in to ask whether they'd cover the cost of FSD on a replacement vehicle if my current one gets totaled. Their initial answer was no:

We apologize for any frustration; however, we are unable to presently add the self-driving option as a covered customization on your policy.​

So I politely responded, asking for clarification:

Would it be possible to explain the reason for this? I know that you cover the Performance option, even though it's just as much a software update as FSD. What are the distinguishing criteria?​

This apparently stumped them, so they agreed:

We apologize for any confusion regarding the coverage for the self-driving feature in your vehicle.

Rest assured, since the vehicle is manufactured with this feature, it is automatically included in your coverage, and there is no need to add it as a customization.​

So, either I'm a brilliant lawyer or polite persistence pays. I recommend checking in with your insurer to get their assurance that they'll cover your FSD. And if they won't, Geico has decent rates. Note that, from their wording, they only cover FSD if you buy the car with that option, not if you later upgrade to it (and obviously not if it's a monthly subscription, as I've heard threatened).

HTH

How does this work if FSD is not part of the VIN (as performance is)?

Reactions: Electric Steve