Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geico = gouge-co

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else using GEICO for a new 2021 M3 LR? I figured being long-time accident-free and ticket-free customer, they would have offered a decent rate so I didn't shop around ahead of our delivery tomorrow (to our house no less) Our current and only vehicle is a 2012 Lexus ES and after adding the M3, our rate almost tripled. I though maybe the online quote doo-hickey was busted so called to speak with an agent and got the same answer. Removing the Lexus (after we sell it this week) drops the premium by very little..HFS.. When we asked why, we got "expensive repair and replacement costs". I figured it would be higher but damn...
Is this the same experience for others in Virginia?
There's a Geico commercial on TV every few minutes. Somebody has to pay for all those commercials and that somebody is each & every Geico customer. We bought our M3LR in September of 2020. Previously we had owned a 2017 Volvo S60 Inscription. We also own an ancient Volvo XC70. We've used MAPFRE Insurance for years and when we turned in our S60 & brought home the M3 the monthly premium actually dropped by $2 a month for the same level of coverage. We've only had one accident since we switched to MAPFRE. It was rear end damage to an older Volvo S40 in 2015. There were no issues in getting the repairs done, and all Volvo parts were used. Coincidentally, I have never seen a commercial for MAPFRE on tv.

Reactions: techlogik
I'm wondering if Progressive will honor these rates after renewal. I have Progressive for my motorcycle insurance, and they have had quite a few rate increases (with no changes on my end). I hope it's not a bait and switch. Anyone have longer term experience with Progressive on a Tesla?
So far, so good. Most insurance companies have a “new customer discount” they build in to pull you away from your current insurer, and that goes away when renewal comes up. My rates went up 8% on renewal, but still way, way lower than the quote I got from Geico. One of the posts in the thread gave sage advice: shop rates every 6 or 12 months, because most insurance companies rely on “loyalty” or laziness to crank up your rates. Same applies to home insurance, though it’s more paperwork there if you escrow your tax and insurance (some insurers even give a small discount if you escrow).

So far, so good. Most insurance companies have a “new customer discount” they build in to pull you away from your current insurer, and that goes away when renewal comes up. My rates went up 8% on renewal, but still way, way lower than the quote I got from Geico. One of the posts in the thread gave sage advice: shop rates every 6 or 12 months, because most insurance companies rely on “loyalty” or laziness to crank up your rates. Same applies to home insurance, though it’s more paperwork there if you escrow your tax and insurance (some insurers even give a small discount if you escrow).
I have heard that insurance agents get a 25% cut of a new policy and only a 10% cut on existing. That's why it is good to check out new companies. don't know if changing frequently affects the rate calculation.

Interesting... I've been using Geico here in NY state for years. The M3 LR AWD only raised my 6 month premium by $100. I don't *think* our rates are high normally, I did a lot of comparison shopping years ago and found Geico to be the cheapest. Their rep also confidently stated... "Nobody beats our prices in New York".

Perhaps somehow their prices vary by state?

BTW... the last car was a 2013 Chevy Cruze... so I actually think the difference in value between the vehicles warrants the $100 premium increase.
Yeah. My Geico rates from my WRX was not that different, maybe $200 a year more? The price do depend on the state.

Another data point saying Geico isn't the way to go for a Tesla... we tried adding a M3LR to our current policy, but they wanted to bump up our cost by $1200. Got a quote with progressive (no bundles or anything) and they quoted around $700 for much better coverage. Probably should have shopped around more... but good enough for me.

I saved 1000 dollars every 6 months by switching away from Geico. So amazed that they jacked up that much and when I spoke to rep they said its because of loss ratio being very high with very high amount of insurance count with them. And that even after probably max credit score you can achieve and no accidents history. Oh well, I am out from them.

Reactions: FlyF4
I went from 2016 C300 sport 4matic to Model 3 and Geico dropped from $650 to $450 per 6 months. With same full coverage + extra rental car reimbursement coverage. Every insurance company seems to be a hit or miss depending on where you live and other factors.

I went from 2016 C300 sport 4matic to Model 3 and Geico dropped from $650 to $450 per 6 months. With same full coverage + extra rental car reimbursement coverage. Every insurance company seems to be a hit or miss depending on where you live and other factors.
Geico will hike that rate back up within the next 6-12 months. they always do.

I quoted most of the big insurance companies today as my M3 should be here in the next week, looks like Progressive & Nationwide are the best for me, but they're still $500-600 per year higher than I'm paying now, and my current vehicle is being traded in for $36k, so not much of a value difference there. I guess Tesla's have a higher claim rate? So saving on gas per month, but spending more on insurance...

I have heard that insurance agents get a 25% cut of a new policy and only a 10% cut on existing. That's why it is good to check out new companies. don't know if changing frequently affects the rate calculation.

Those commission rates are high, but yes, agents get more for new business than renewal. Some agents can choose their commission level (like 15% new/10 renew or 8 new/ 6 renew or something in between) and price accordingly. That is why you may want to check with multiple agents as well. A company selling direct (such as GEICO) doesn’t have that.

Happy State Farm customer. Swapped a Cadillac and Buick for a Model 3 and X, and my overall premiums went down about $100/year.

Yeah, State Farm is really great for my Tesla premiums.....I'm paying about $53/month on my 2018 M3P; I was paying around $65/month for the same coverage on my previous car, a 2013 BMW X3, which was worth well less than half of the Tesla.

I keep waiting for State Farm to bump the premiums up, but they haven't in the 2.5 years I've owned it. And I've even had to make a couple of claims over the past year (rock chip in the front roof glass - $1,400, and hammered a pothole - $3,500).