Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geico just raised my insurance rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...$1193.93...

Please check with wawanesa.com .

My current premium is $1,043.36 / 6 months for 2 cars good till next month.

6Ac9B6e.jpg

My renewal for next month is $993.41 / 6 months for 2 cars.

D2iqquV.jpg

Of course, there are some discounts on my case for accident-free, multi-car, Mature Driver Training (55 years old and above), small town...

Last edited:
I paid $807 for six months and they're raising it to $1193.93.

They said it's because the cost to repair and there number of claims.

I have a perfect driving record. Any recommendations?

I just left Geico. I didn't leave because their prices went up. I left because they don't have the coverages I need for owning a financed Tesla. "Gap Insurance".

I explain it here -->> M3 Auto Insurance - what are you paying?

Please check with wawanesa.com .

My current premium is $1,043.36 / 6 months for 2 cars good till next month.

6Ac9B6e.jpg

My renewal for next month is $993.41 / 6 months for 2 cars.

1XTV3Zc.jpg

Of course, there are some discounts on my case for accident-free, multi-car, Mature Driver Training (55 years old and above), small town...

Thanks for the info....but people - Please.

"Don't just pay attention to the premium"!! I can't say it enough.

You want your car fixed if someone hits you and they don't "Total" you car. Trust me - you don't want to haggle with a low rate insurance company that doesn't even want to pay the blue book price. Let alone the financed gap. You don't want to pay lawyers to sue them or anything stupid like that.

Fixing a Tesla is a long and expensive process as prescribed by Tesla. I have seen Tesla's repair instructions for a rear ended Model 3 ( mine is still in the shop since June 5th) and its a long expensive process.

Let me give you an example: ( I'm not at fault....I was hit from behind ).

I was just hit on June 5th. Geico said that I was only covered for 45 days for a rental. Allstate says I'm covered for the entire process.

Rental = $43 per day for a Ford Fusion.

My premiums were $300 per year less expensive with Geico, however I would have been out of at least $1600 in car rental with my current accident.
Thankfully the persons insurance who hit me is covering the rental.

Is it always good to look for the cheapest insurance? - I look for the most coverage for my buck...even if the coverage is more expensive.

My Allstate insurance is $300 per year more than Geico, but I have much much more coverage - INCLUDING GAP INSURANCE. M3 Auto Insurance - what are you paying?

That’s what Geico does. They hook you with a ridiculously low rate during your first six months with them, then jack it up significantly afterward
I don't think that's it. I've been with Geico for about 10 years with several different cars, and they have never done that (and always had very competitive rates). This year, my insurance also went up, but it affected only the collision coverage of the Tesla, while our other car's rate remains unchanged. This is a Tesla-specific thing. Probably the actuarial tables were updated and Tesla repairs are more expensive then previously projected.

'Here are two other threads where this has been discussed:

Insurance rate increased. Anyone else?
Geico Ramps Up Model 3 Collision Premium

Geico also raised my monthly premium from $120 to $132 / per month which is from $720 to $792 for a 6-month premium.

I've been with them for over 2-year since owning a Lexus IS 350 F Sport. I'm also in Southern California where insurance rate are more expensive than other states. I'm 30 years old with a clean driving record and have no doubt they will continue to raise my rate.

I'm just waiting for Tesla Insurance to come out soon and hope that has a better rate for us Tesla owners.

I also left Geico after being a customer for almost a decade. Our premium increased by $450 when I got my first Tesla (Model S) which I was still okay with.

But when we got our Model X, they wanted to raise the premium by another $800. At which point I dropped them like a rock and went with USAA instead. Ended up getting a significantly lower rate which was comparable when we still had ICE cars. I heard progressive is pretty good too.

Also, try with whoever you have other insurance with like mortgage, life etc.. They typically give discounts when combining policies.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I've been in this policy for 10 years and a customer for 25 years. They told me they didn't have good data when I bought the car and now they're realizing how expensive it is to fix. The increase was all collision and I have a $500 deductable.

I'd go with USAA but I'm not a vet.

Distracted drivers are driving up rates as well.

Thanks for the info....but people - Please.

"Don't just pay attention to the premium"!! I can't say it enough.

You want your car fixed if someone hits you and they don't "Total" you car. Trust me - you don't want to haggle with a low rate insurance company that doesn't even want to pay the blue book price. Let alone the financed gap. You don't want to pay lawyers to sue them or anything stupid like that.

Fixing a Tesla is a long and expensive process as prescribed by Tesla. I have seen Tesla's repair instructions for a rear ended Model 3 ( mine is still in the shop since June 5th) and its a long expensive process.

Let me give you an example: ( I'm not at fault....I was hit from behind ).

I was just hit on June 5th. Geico said that I was only covered for 45 days for a rental. Allstate says I'm covered for the entire process.

Rental = $43 per day for a Ford Fusion.

My premiums were $300 per year less expensive with Geico, however I would have been out of at least $1600 in car rental with my current accident.
Thankfully the persons insurance who hit me is covering the rental.

Is it always good to look for the cheapest insurance? - I look for the most coverage for my buck...even if the coverage is more expensive.

My Allstate insurance is $300 per year more than Geico, but I have much much more coverage - INCLUDING GAP INSURANCE. M3 Auto Insurance - what are you paying?
Just because Wawanesa is cheap doesn't mean it's great. I've had Allstate and Wawanesa is as good / better. Customer service is awesome and they make sure my car is taken care of and fixed correctly. You have to apply to Wawanesa and they take you if you have a clean record.

Just setting the record straight.

Reactions: tracksyde
Just because Wawanesa is cheap doesn't mean it's great. I've had Allstate and Wawanesa is as good / better. Customer service is awesome and they make sure my car is taken care of and fixed correctly. You have to apply to Wawanesa and they take you if you have a clean record.

Just setting the record straight.

Did you mean: Just because Wawanesa is cheap doesn't mean its "not" great?

Anyway,

I'm not making any comment about Wawenesa….which is why I didn't mention them. I would consider myself far from an expert in insurance. All I know is what I know and that one thing is that Allstate is far better for me than Geico.

What does Wawenesa have that Allstate doesn't? Please share for everyones benefit.

Did you mean: Just because Wawanesa is cheap doesn't mean its "not" great?

Anyway,

I'm not making any comment about Wawenesa….which is why I didn't mention them. I would consider myself far from an expert in insurance. All I know is what I know and that one thing is that Allstate is far better for me than Geico.

What does Wawenesa have that Allstate doesn't? Please share for everyones benefit.
Sorry, I meant Wawanesa is as good and cheaper than when I had Allstate. Customer service is excellent on both and when I got into an accident with Wawanesa, they didn't raise my rates even though it was my fault. I basically get to choose my body shop too. It's a wonderful insurance company that provides Tesla owners a reasonable rate.

Reactions: tracksyde