TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Geico just raised my insurance Insurance

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by djroberts, Aug 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Bard

Bard Member

My quote from State Farm was $380/month in SoCal for 100/300 $500 deductible. Completely clean driving record and 0 claims.

2. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

Are you 16 years old? That’s nuts. I thought the LA premium was only 2x everywhere else in CA.
    Actually in CA they can’t base rates on age but they can base them on years of driving experience.

3. ibGeek

ibGeek Member

My Progressive went up from $166 per month to $205 per month after the first term ended. Was going to complain but this seems to be a universal thing. :/

4. njsrikar

njsrikar Member

Whichever insurance you go with, please make sure they are willing to pay Tesla's labor rate for body/collision repairs.

I am dealing with it right now, my car has been in the shop for over a month now. I have Liberty Mutual and I had to call 3 levels up into their claims department and send lengthy emails to get them to pay the asking labor rate of Tesla authorized body shops. They still haven't agreed to pay the full rate for paint+refinish ...their argument is simple - why pay $125/hr to paint a Tesla when it's the same effort as painting a Toyota. Liberty Mutual's approved rate is $41/hr.

And I have 300/500 coverage, 3 vehicles and home insurance with them!

($125/hr is the labor rate at any Tesla certified body shop in my area, Liberty Mutual's rate for my area is $41/hr)

• Love x 1
  5. willow_hiller

willow_hiller Member

Again, it's a bit of a quality over quantity scenario.

We've got USAA for home and auto. Anecdotally I've heard people with other insurances really struggling to get claims to pay out, where we've never had a problem with USAA. Including an $8,000 roof on a month-old home!

6. SgtLou02

SgtLou02 Member

I agree. I just got rear ended by an uninsured distracted driver who only has a learners permit earlier this week. USAA has been fantastic thus far during the process. This is my first and hopefully only claim on my Model 3. We got rear ended about 16 years ago with USAA and the rate didn’t increase. I’m really hoping it doesn’t go up this time as well. They said they’ll be going after the uninsured driver to recoup the $500 deductible and repair costs.

• Like x 1
  7. hungryjonjon

hungryjonjon Member

I dumped GEICO after getting Model 3. My insurance DOUBLED with my two cars. I ended up with CSAA/AAA with better coverage and benefits for the same price I was paying for my 2013 Fusion Hybrid and 2004 supercharged v8 convertible weekend fun car.
    I had called GEICO a few times before buying the Model 3 asking for quotes and why the price was so high and they wouldn’t budge. Then when I canceled they tried hard to keep me. I was very annoyed with them and was finally able to cancel. I plan to never use GEICO again and I should’ve left them a long time ago.

8. Tmoh3

Tmoh3 Member

Geico raised mine from 90/month to 145/month....

9. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Supporting Member

That's strange because unless its an approved Tesla body shop....then they aren't supposed to fix a Tesla.

10. Garlan Garner

Although I understand what you are saying ( just dropping Geico myself ), I wouldn't say "Never"... because if Geico gets bought out by a more reputable company with better rates and more coverage....then......

Insurance companies buy each other out all of the time.

11. Garlan Garner

Looks like Geico is drowning and possibly on their way out of the door.

12. Garlan Garner

Indeed. Tesla's labor rate is high when they fix their cars. The labor rate for fixing Tesla's at their approved body shops are also high.

Tesla's aren't getting all of the great safety ratings because they are built like every other car. They are built differently and it takes a ton of time and labor to repair them back to factory standards.

13. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

I think what Tesla should really do is work to lower their repair costs. If whatever insurance company they are working with for the "Tesla Insurance" doesn't want to lose money, they will have the same issue.

• Like x 1
  14. Garlan Garner

Although I agree with your opinion on labor costs.....I wonder.....

Is the labor costs due to the phenomenal safety that Tesla's provide?

To be totally honest...I'm willing to pay for "better". I'm willing to pay for the safety of a Tesla even if it costs more to repair - which increases my rates.

I realize my opinion is not popular in the "cheaper insurance" crowd, but.... oh well.

15. Atari2600

Atari2600 Member

Tesla repair process does not allow for half assed repairs. Thus some extra insurance cost may be worth it.

Tesla should fix the time to repair issues and drive those costs down. Their process should not be stalling. Storage costs, car rentals and charging fees would improve then.

16. Garlan Garner

I don't think that "time to repair issues" are a thing.

It just takes longer to repair a Tesla. As well it should. Look at how the car is built.

17. hydro 481

hydro 481 Member

Time to call Flo...

• Funny x 1
  18. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

Doubt it. There are many cars with similar safety ratings.

19. hydro 481

hydro 481 Member

#39 hydro 481, Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    But the Model 3 is the safest car in the world!

• Love x 1
  20. Atari2600

Atari2600 Member

Sure it takes longer to repair a tesla that’s a given.
    I thought there was a lot of “waiting for parts” going on. And on top of that issues like “To fix this rear fender way may accidentally break the rear window out then have to wait on replacement glass”. Waiting on parts is a stalled process.