Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geico just raised my insurance rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a Geico quote, which was very high and went with Progressive for now. Geico sends me post cards, emails, and called me EVERY SINGLE day leaving a unique message each time for over 2 months! Those people must be really hungry. I had the number muted so I would just see a missed call and VM every day and never called to tell them not to bother. It was kind of annoying getting a missed daily call but funny at the same time after awhile.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Sure it takes longer to repair a tesla that’s a given.
I thought there was a lot of “waiting for parts” going on. And on top of that issues like “To fix this rear fender way may accidentally break the rear window out then have to wait on replacement glass”. Waiting on parts is a stalled process.

You are correct there. There is a "waiting for parts issue"

I can't disagree with that.

See my thread ---> Rear ended today. 3-4 month wait - parts not available.

I got a Geico quote, which was very high and went with Progressive for now. Geico sends me post cards, emails, and called me EVERY SINGLE day leaving a unique message each time for over 2 months! Those people must be really hungry. I had the number muted so I would just see a missed call and VM every day and never called to tell them not to bother. It was kind of annoying getting a missed daily call but funny at the same time after awhile.

It's all automated.
You give them data, and a program calculates the result.
Then if you buy the insurance, a program will calculate a new premium every 6 months or a year (depending on your policy), each time turning up the temperature and hoping that your inner frog doesn't notice.

Essentially, you have to be prepared to get new insurance quotes each time and switch companies. Maybe, eventually, they'll figure out and mark you as a "rate tart" and the program won't be so aggressive.

Reactions: ilyak
That’s what Geico does. They hook you with a ridiculously low rate during your first six months with them, then jack it up significantly afterward
Been with Geico for about 8 years now, never once had a premium go up by anything significant. In fact, I just renewed my Model 3 insurance with them yesterday form the first time (March delivery), the premium stayed exactly the same. I pay $364 for 6 months for 250/500 with comprehensive and collision with no deductible, but I live in an area with generally low insurance rates and have a very favorable risk profile (married, PhD, no claims, score in the 800s, multiple policies, low congestion area, etc.). Insurance is highly automated and based entirely on statistics (plus means of getting around some specific statistics that are deemed legally not OK for purposes of rate calculation).

I think what Tesla should really do is work to lower their repair costs. If whatever insurance company they are working with for the "Tesla Insurance" doesn't want to lose money, they will have the same issue.

FWIW:

Official Tesla body rate to repair in Bellevue at Tesla-owned body shop? $54. Rate to repair body at independent certified Tesla repair center in Beaverton? $140.

I think there is a lot of scamming going on by the shops, but I’m not sure exactly what drives it or how to stop it.

I understand that this thread is about Geico but just to let everyone know.

This is a pic from my original accident on June 5th 2019. Underneath there was a bend on the part where the metal bumper underneath attaches to the frame rail. In the "old days" you could probably have heated it up and taken some vise grips and a mallet and just straightened it back out.

no plate.jpg

But NO! Tesla won't allow ANYTHING to be straightned back out. You have to replace the entire frame rail section ( circled in yellow ) and do it with via the process/procedure they provide. I circled the small area where bend was in RED, YEP - indeed.....there was a small bend of about 5 degrees where that bolt in RED is - caused everything to be torn apart. They had to replace the entire frame rail section ( circled in yellow - still in army green primer ) which required them to remove the entire rear of the car....even removing the welds and everything for the back trunk bucket.

Just an FYI....Audi and Porsche don't require this. They allow you to bend that frame rail back in place. ( lower insurance rates )

Anyway, This is 9+ weeks in.

detail.jpg

For the shop to keep it's "Tesla certification" they had to follow ALL of Tesla's directions and instructions - which I had a chance to see. Its a 70 page manual for just the rear frame - counting every bolt and rivet and weld.

When done - my car will be able to withstand all of the crash test ratings of a brand new Tesla. That seems to be Tesla's goal even with repairs.

Is that more expensive than a normal ICE car's repair procedure? Probably, but that's what I want.

Its just my prerogative that I want to know that my insurance company would cover me if I need them to. Fortunately for me - the insurance company of the lady who hit me is covering all of this - even my $43 per day rental for 3 months or so.

Folks - when stepping up to Tesla level transport - its not only about premiums when it comes to insurance.

Last edited:
I paid $807 for six months and they're raising it to $1193.93.

They said it's because the cost to repair and there number of claims.

I have a perfect driving record. Any recommendations?
If you can qualify for USAA, you definitely want to check their rates. My Dad was in the USAF, so luckily I've had USAA forever. They are usually the cheapest, but there are a few (fortunately smaller) geographic areas where they are slightly more expensive than the best rate you could get with other carriers.

And the claims process with them is amazingly good.

IFor the shop to keep it's "Tesla certification" they had to follow ALL of Tesla's directions and instructions - which I had a chance to see. Its a 70 page manual for just the rear frame - counting every bolt and rivet and weld.
Tesla is not the only carmaker that's doing this. For example, BMW has a network of certified bodyshops as well, and you can download dozens of manuals describing body and frame repair procedures from their Technical Information System. Yet, I never had sudden insurance rate hikes with my previous car.

I think Tesla's repair cost issues have more to do with a lack of experience (this is their first mass market car, after all) and perhaps also lack of resources in their service organization.

• Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Tesla is not the only carmaker that's doing this. For example, BMW has a network of certified bodyshops as well, and you can download dozens of manuals describing body and frame repair procedures from their Technical Information System. Yet, I never had sudden insurance rate hikes with my previous car.

I think Tesla's repair cost issues have more to do with a lack of experience (this is their first mass market car, after all) and perhaps also lack of resources in their service organization.

Concerning Tesla's repair cost issues - your opinion could very well be true. The only fact that I have is that the Technician standing in that pic says that - and I quote " These things are built like tanks - They take so much longer to weld and center". He also added... "Tesla's tolerances are so much smaller - which makes it a pain ".

Although I feel for him....on the other hand - It doesn't bother me in the least bit.

I'm sure you can understand why.

Interesting then that Tesla’s own repair rates are 1/3 that of the certified body shops. Could be subsidized I suppose.

Sounds like we need more Tesla-owned body shops! May not be sustainable though.

All extremely mysterious.

He also mentioned how GEICO is now totaling out Tesla’s with relatively low damage amounts, simply to avoid sending shops the repair business (because their rates are not reasonable). The shops have also been colluding, using the appraisal clause in the policy (alleged neutral third party not so neutral...). They totaled a 70k Model S with $10k body damage estimate, for example. They did this because they knew the shop was likely going to add $15k in extra labor costs and other fees. So, total loss, no business for the shop.

He also mentioned how GEICO is now totaling out Tesla’s with relatively low damage amounts, simply to avoid sending shops the repair business (because their rates are not reasonable). The shops have also been colluding, using the appraisal clause in the policy (alleged neutral third party not so neutral...). They totaled a 70k Model S with $10k body damage estimate, for example.

Geico totals out cars according to blue book.

I know this for sure.

I left Geico - sure.....but I still respect them.

Concerning Tesla's repair cost issues - your opinion could very well be true. The only fact that I have is that the Technician standing in that pic says that - and I quote " These things are built like tanks - They take so much longer to weld and center". He also added... "Tesla's tolerances are so much smaller - which makes it a pain ".
Yeah well, others make exactly the same claims. ;) Here's a quote from the BMW page I linked above:

"Serious repairs often require your vehicle to be disassembled to some extent. From individual repairs to reassembly, Certified Collision Repair Center technicians use tools and procedures designed from vehicle blueprints for pinpoint accuracy. Approved by BMW engineers, these techniques allow technicians to achieve body tolerances of one millimeter or less* - far more precise than the industry standard."