Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geico just raised my insurance rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting then that Tesla’s own repair rates are 1/3 that of the certified body shops. Could be subsidized I suppose.

Sounds like we need more Tesla-owned body shops! May not be sustainable though.
That could simply be related to a lack of bandwidth in training certified technicians, which then allows the few bodyshops that have them to ask higher prices.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Geico totals out cars according to blue book.

I know this for sure.

I left Geico - sure.....but I still respect them.

Oh, the total made sense - they accounted for a high salvage value and the massive extra repair costs they anticipated. It was about a wash. It’s just an equation, based on ACV, Salvage value, and anticipated costs. Anyway, why send the shop the business...

There is nothing unethical about it.

Payout was ~$70k. Salvage value was $43k.

Maybe Tesla's rates are so cheap because they don't finish their work.

"I think I feel a breeze".

Screen-Shot-2019-08-15-at-9.44.56-AM.jpg

JUST KIDDING!!! <--- lighten up folks. lol

Is the body shop you are talking about in this thread ? Body Shops near Bellevue, WA

I’ll try to find out the current capabilities specifically of the Tesla shop in Bellevue I quoted. I got the impression it was a full-service shop (and I know there are Tesla shops that do full structural repairs). Likely it is a changing situation, because Tesla has been trying to bring this capability online.

Will post back when I can confirm the reality of the situation at that specific shop.

If the issue is simply paint, probably no reason to use only a Tesla Certified shop. Don't think there is anything super special about Tesla paint, and that most paint shops should be able to do a good job. In fact many posts claim that Tesla paint is softer than others, so a non approved shop might actually do a BETTER job.

Insurance companies have put a strangle hold on their approved vendors. If you do not do the work at the approved (low) hourly rate you will not get any more business. Most insurance companies are mandated to let you go to the repair shop of your choice. They cannot black ball a high end shop that might do a better job of returning the car to like new condition and force you to take it to their cut rate shops. They will push back on you going elseware, but are in violation of their own licensing agreements by doing so. Sometimes an insurance company will extend additional warranty (for the life of you ownership of the car) to induce you to use their cheaper repair places.

So, this thread has caused me to research auto insurance options over the past two days. Yuck. Thanks a lot @djroberts! :)

We have Mercury auto insurance, and I've inquired or obtained quotes from State Farm, USAA (we did not qualify), Ameriprise, Amica, and Wawanesa. Amica is among the top three highest rated insurance companies in all the studies I found. USAA is universally #1 in all of them.

Bottom line, as far as cost is concerned, State Farm, Wawanesa, and Amica are all about the same premium for 6 months - in the $1900 range for our two cars (Porsche Macan GTS and Tesla Model 3). We're both over 50. No accidents. 800+ FICO. Los Angeles residents who drive less than 9000 miles/year.

Ameriprise is $500 less than the other companies. They are also well rated, although lower than USAA and Amica. Anyone have any firsthand experience with Ameriprise.

Just want to add something... posting what insurance rates are anywhere is a USELESS number without also indicating the coverage amounts and deductibles..also any discounts that are applied...For example. My Allstate insurance for my Model 3 is $836.33 for 6 months. This doesn't say anything with me also saying that the coverage are 100/300/100, with a $1000 collision deductible and $0 comprehensive deductible. Even then it doesn't give the whole story because there have been discounts applied to get to that $836 for various things such as Multiple policy, Easy Pay, Antilock Brakes...etc. So I would recommend the following if you want to say what your rate is...

Allstate
$836 every 6 months($1605 with no discounts)
100/300/100 coverages
$1000 comprehensive deductible
$0 comprehensive deductible
No past collision claims, no driving violations

Yes yes, you could go more in-depth but I think this is really the minimum amount of information to actually be able to do a real comparison.

Reactions: Daddywolf
Are you 16 years old? That’s nuts. I thought the LA premium was only 2x everywhere else in CA.
Actually in CA they can’t base rates on age but they can base them on years of driving experience.

Nope, I'm in my 30s and have had my license for more than half my life now.

Several other companies were also in the same ballpark for 100/300 500~1000 deductibles:

- Farmers: $350/mo ($500 or $1000 deductible, forgot)
- Geico: $250/mo ($500 or $1000 deductible, forgot)
- Allstate ($270/mo - $500 deductible or $245/mo for $1000 deductible)
- Esurance - ($280/mo - $1000 deductible)

Liberty Mutual was one of the cheaper ones for me: $187/month for $1000 deductible.

Once again this is with 0 accidents and 0 claims.

I've been in this policy for 10 years and a customer for 25 years. They told me they didn't have good data when I bought the car and now they're realizing how expensive it is to fix. The increase was all collision and I have a $500 deductable.

I'd go with USAA but I'm not a vet.

Distracted drivers are driving up rates as well.
I’ve got USAA but they’ve become less competitive over the years.

Damnnnnn...I must be old, 39, and you guys must be young. Some of these insurance premiums are high. I am in SoCal. My premium is $1050 every 6months. Full cover with 1k deductibles. This premium includes my M3LR, 96 BMW 850CI, 2005 Prius, and 1989 Dolphin RV. I guess the multi car discount really works...