TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Geico just raised my insurance Insurance

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by djroberts, Aug 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Active Member

No. See above. $140/hr for certified shop. $54/hr for Tesla’s shop (Tesla owns the shop).

2. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

That could simply be related to a lack of bandwidth in training certified technicians, which then allows the few bodyshops that have them to ask higher prices.

• Like x 1
  3. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Supporting Member

Is the body shop you are talking about in this thread ? Body Shops near Bellevue, WA

• Disagree x 1
  4. Garlan Garner

• Disagree x 2
  5. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

6. AlanSubie4Life

Oh, the total made sense - they accounted for a high salvage value and the massive extra repair costs they anticipated. It was about a wash. It’s just an equation, based on ACV, Salvage value, and anticipated costs. Anyway, why send the shop the business...

There is nothing unethical about it.

Payout was ~$70k. Salvage value was $43k.

7. Garlan Garner

Maybe Tesla's rates are so cheap because they don't finish their work.

"I think I feel a breeze".

[​IMG]

JUST KIDDING!!! <--- lighten up folks. lol

• Funny x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  8. AlanSubie4Life

I’ll try to find out the current capabilities specifically of the Tesla shop in Bellevue I quoted. I got the impression it was a full-service shop (and I know there are Tesla shops that do full structural repairs). Likely it is a changing situation, because Tesla has been trying to bring this capability online.

Will post back when I can confirm the reality of the situation at that specific shop.

9. Daddywolf

Daddywolf Member

$370.30 per 6 months w/ USAA.

• Like x 2
  10. calidreamz808

calidreamz808 Member

What happened with the all exciting Tesla Insurance??? That seemed to have fallen off the conversation for a while now.. wasn't it supposed to be up and running by now?

11. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

If the issue is simply paint, probably no reason to use only a Tesla Certified shop. Don't think there is anything super special about Tesla paint, and that most paint shops should be able to do a good job. In fact many posts claim that Tesla paint is softer than others, so a non approved shop might actually do a BETTER job.

Insurance companies have put a strangle hold on their approved vendors. If you do not do the work at the approved (low) hourly rate you will not get any more business. Most insurance companies are mandated to let you go to the repair shop of your choice. They cannot black ball a high end shop that might do a better job of returning the car to like new condition and force you to take it to their cut rate shops. They will push back on you going elseware, but are in violation of their own licensing agreements by doing so. Sometimes an insurance company will extend additional warranty (for the life of you ownership of the car) to induce you to use their cheaper repair places.

12. djroberts

djroberts Member

You have to be a vet or military though, right?

13. djroberts

djroberts Member

I've been shopping around. Progressive is 1500, Liberty Mutual 1800 every six months.

14. xxxholic

xxxholic Member

My insurance rates with Geico went from 435 every six months on 2019 Acura MDX to $1150 for a Model 3. I knew the insurance would increase, but wow - by :eek:$700 - that wasn't part of my calculations for cost.

15. tvad

tvad Member

So, this thread has caused me to research auto insurance options over the past two days. Yuck. Thanks a lot @djroberts! :)

We have Mercury auto insurance, and I've inquired or obtained quotes from State Farm, USAA (we did not qualify), Ameriprise, Amica, and Wawanesa. Amica is among the top three highest rated insurance companies in all the studies I found. USAA is universally #1 in all of them.

Bottom line, as far as cost is concerned, State Farm, Wawanesa, and Amica are all about the same premium for 6 months - in the $1900 range for our two cars (Porsche Macan GTS and Tesla Model 3). We're both over 50. No accidents. 800+ FICO. Los Angeles residents who drive less than 9000 miles/year.

Ameriprise is $500 less than the other companies. They are also well rated, although lower than USAA and Amica. Anyone have any firsthand experience with Ameriprise.

16. Daddywolf

Daddywolf Member

yes, or be related to one (immediate family)

17. derotam

derotam Member

Just want to add something... posting what insurance rates are anywhere is a USELESS number without also indicating the coverage amounts and deductibles..also any discounts that are applied...For example. My Allstate insurance for my Model 3 is $836.33 for 6 months. This doesn't say anything with me also saying that the coverage are 100/300/100, with a $1000 collision deductible and $0 comprehensive deductible. Even then it doesn't give the whole story because there have been discounts applied to get to that $836 for various things such as Multiple policy, Easy Pay, Antilock Brakes...etc. So I would recommend the following if you want to say what your rate is...

Allstate
    $836 every 6 months($1605 with no discounts)
    100/300/100 coverages
    $1000 comprehensive deductible
    $0 comprehensive deductible
    No past collision claims, no driving violations

Yes yes, you could go more in-depth but I think this is really the minimum amount of information to actually be able to do a real comparison.

• Like x 1
  18. Bard

Bard Member

Nope, I'm in my 30s and have had my license for more than half my life now.

Several other companies were also in the same ballpark for 100/300 500~1000 deductibles:

- Farmers: $350/mo ($500 or $1000 deductible, forgot)
    - Geico: $250/mo ($500 or $1000 deductible, forgot)
    - Allstate ($270/mo - $500 deductible or $245/mo for $1000 deductible)
    - Esurance - ($280/mo - $1000 deductible)

Liberty Mutual was one of the cheaper ones for me: $187/month for $1000 deductible.

Once again this is with 0 accidents and 0 claims.

19. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

I’ve got USAA but they’ve become less competitive over the years.

20. moonfresh

moonfresh Member

Damnnnnn...I must be old, 39, and you guys must be young. Some of these insurance premiums are high. I am in SoCal. My premium is $1050 every 6months. Full cover with 1k deductibles. This premium includes my M3LR, 96 BMW 850CI, 2005 Prius, and 1989 Dolphin RV. I guess the multi car discount really works...