Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geico just raised my insurance rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damnnnnn...I must be old, 39, and you guys must be young. Some of these insurance premiums are high. I am in SoCal. My premium is $1050 every 6months. Full cover with 1k deductibles. This premium includes my M3LR, 96 BMW 850CI, 2005 Prius, and 1989 Dolphin RV. I guess the multi car discount really works...
I think it does. 41 YO, $500 deduct, $745 for 6 mos.

Reactions: moonfresh
Recently renewed my policy with State Farm - $652.32 for 6 months. Increased $20 from the previous period. That's a $500 comprehensive deductible, $1k collision deductible, $300k/$500k liability coverage (person/incident) and coverage for both under and uninsured drivers. DC has notoriously high insurance rates, so I don't think that's too bad. Working in my favor are discounts for multiple lines of coverage and low mileage. Perhaps working against me is that before two years ago, I had 10 years without an auto insurance policy (didn't own a car during that time).

I too had Geico and before I purchased my Model S (which I picked up yesterday...yeah) i had Geico quote it as I was already insured with them. For my wifes hybrid and the Tesla it was $1300 + for 6 months. I have high limits and 25+ years of no accidents and no tickets.

I had someone suggest Ameriprise through Costco and they came back for the same two cars, same limits and an even lower deductible at $616 every 6 months. Over $700 price difference. So if you have a Costco membership, go to Ameriprise. Good Luck.

Same story here,

just received a renewal email from GEICO and I am looking at a $430 increase from $853 (cominf from $835) to a ridiculous $1,283.38 - I have to admit I am pretty stunned and I am shopping around right now. Progressive quoted me $1069 for 6 month but I am still feeling that this is a joke. I am with GEICO for around 8 years for my last 3 cars, frankly that's just not how you keep customers...

So if anyone has a good idea for CA, SF insurance let me know

Same story here,

just received a renewal email from GEICO and I am looking at a $430 increase from $853 (cominf from $835) to a ridiculous $1,283.38 - I have to admit I am pretty stunned and I am shopping around right now. Progressive quoted me $1069 for 6 month but I am still feeling that this is a joke. I am with GEICO for around 8 years for my last 3 cars, frankly that's just not how you keep customers...

So if anyone has a good idea for CA, SF insurance let me know
$1283.38 for 6 months? Is that for one car, or more than one car?

You might get a quote from Mercury. If you check Mercury's JD Power ratings, be sure you check them for California. Mercury ratings outside California are low. Their ratings from California policy holders are high.

Also, you probably already know you will receive a lower quote if you bundle home and auto.

Last edited:
$1283.38 for 6 months? Is that for one car, or more than one car?

You might get a quote from Mercury. If you check Mercury's JD Power ratings, be sure you check them for California. Mercury ratings outside California are low. Their ratings from California policy holders are high.

Also, you probably already know you will receive a lower quote if you bundle home and auto.

That’s for one car, I know, sounds insane. I checked Mercury but they appear to not even have Tesla in their drop down menu. Did you call them directly for a quote?

Are people still having issues with Geico? I just added my M3 on there with my wife's car. Geico gave me the cheapest quote out of anyone out there and my premium is $961 for a Jeep and the M3.

That's for 100/300/100, 50/100 uninsured and $1000 deductibles on comprehensive and collision. I'm about to pull the trigger but can't find Gap insurance.

Reactions: Ezri10
This is not an issue with an insurance company. If their data is showing them the cars are more expensive to repair than estimated and the drivers are getting into more wrecks than in other vehicles, then they will charge more. Other factors that can increase rates is any data that suggests the car is more likely to be broken into or stolen (usually this is based off your location, or driving a Honda...) or that people are getting injured worse in a particular vehicle (this is a safety score, and for some particular brands it is generally quite low; *cough, Kia..)

Definitely shop around, as other insurance companies might not have enough repair data yet or they might happen to have less drivers of that vehicle running into everything and everyone. Just know that if they raise your rate significantly, it's because they were undercharging you before and now you're likely paying fair value instead of getting a good deal (and that's it time to see if someone else can still give you a good deal)

Just know that if they raise your rate significantly, it's because they were undercharging you before and now you're likely paying fair value instead of getting a good deal
Or they're just money-grubbing corporate [redacted]. I once had my former insurer send me paperwork with my renewal wherein they were tripling my rate. When I called to ask about this they said "yeah, we're doing that with all drivers in Arizona starting this month." None of the near-dozen other firms I contacted were anywhere near that new price.

And I doubt it was because I was an expensive customer. Number of claims: zero. Number of tickets: zero. Number of accidents: zero. Number of late payments: zero.

As a datapoint, I am 50, live in rural Oregon, have 4 policies with Allstate, and have never made a claim against any of them since I signed up with them in the late 90's (same agent all this time). I was quoted $870 for 6 months for my hopefully-showing-up-this-week Model 3 Performance. My other 2 vehicles combined are less to cover for the same period by over a hundred bucks.
It seems this should be a high priority for Tesla as it significantly erodes their value proposition. Unless, I guess, you are a full-tilt tree hugger.
For me, insuring a Tesla is $89/mo more than my other vehicles, one of which is my current daily driver and is not a gas hog. For me, the additional insurance either almost completely or completely removes the financial benefit of electric propulsion.

As a datapoint, I am 50, live in rural Oregon, have 4 policies with Allstate, and have never made a claim against any of them since I signed up with them in the late 90's (same agent all this time). I was quoted $870 for 6 months for my hopefully-showing-up-this-week Model 3 Performance. My other 2 vehicles combined are less to cover for the same period by over a hundred bucks.
It seems this should be a high priority for Tesla as it significantly erodes their value proposition. Unless, I guess, you are a full-tilt tree hugger.
For me, insuring a Tesla is $89/mo more than my other vehicles, one of which is my current daily driver and is not a gas hog. For me, the additional insurance either almost completely or completely removes the financial benefit of electric propulsion.
I am unable to edit my post, possibly due to being a noob. Or maybe it's the gin.
I decided to fact check myself:
1) I have been an Allstate customer since 1994. Not late 90's
2) My quote for a Model 3 Performance is almost exactly $200 more for 6 months coverage than both my other cars combined. As a practical matter I could (almost) insure 3 not-Tesla cars for the cost of a Tesla. That's broken.

I am unable to edit my post, possibly due to being a noob. Or maybe it's the gin.
I decided to fact check myself:
1) I have been an Allstate customer since 1994. Not late 90's
2) My quote for a Model 3 Performance is almost exactly $200 more for 6 months coverage than both my other cars combined. As a practical matter I could (almost) insure 3 not-Tesla cars for the cost of a Tesla. That's broken.
No, that’s Allstate.