TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Geico just raised my insurance Insurance

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by djroberts, Aug 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. djroberts

djroberts Member

I'm assuming those who pay a lot less are not in California like I am.

2. XLR82XS

XLR82XS Member

I think it does. 41 YO, $500 deduct, $745 for 6 mos.

• Like x 1
  3. MrMassTransit

MrMassTransit Supporting Member

Recently renewed my policy with State Farm - $652.32 for 6 months. Increased $20 from the previous period. That's a $500 comprehensive deductible, $1k collision deductible, $300k/$500k liability coverage (person/incident) and coverage for both under and uninsured drivers. DC has notoriously high insurance rates, so I don't think that's too bad. Working in my favor are discounts for multiple lines of coverage and low mileage. Perhaps working against me is that before two years ago, I had 10 years without an auto insurance policy (didn't own a car during that time).

4. ScBlack

ScBlack Member

I too had Geico and before I purchased my Model S (which I picked up yesterday...yeah) i had Geico quote it as I was already insured with them. For my wifes hybrid and the Tesla it was $1300 + for 6 months. I have high limits and 25+ years of no accidents and no tickets.

I had someone suggest Ameriprise through Costco and they came back for the same two cars, same limits and an even lower deductible at $616 every 6 months. Over $700 price difference. So if you have a Costco membership, go to Ameriprise. Good Luck.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. DSDS

DSDS Member

Same story here,

just received a renewal email from GEICO and I am looking at a $430 increase from $853 (cominf from $835) to a ridiculous $1,283.38 - I have to admit I am pretty stunned and I am shopping around right now. Progressive quoted me $1069 for 6 month but I am still feeling that this is a joke. I am with GEICO for around 8 years for my last 3 cars, frankly that's just not how you keep customers...

So if anyone has a good idea for CA, SF insurance let me know

6. tvad

tvad Member

#86 tvad, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    $1283.38 for 6 months? Is that for one car, or more than one car?

You might get a quote from Mercury. If you check Mercury's JD Power ratings, be sure you check them for California. Mercury ratings outside California are low. Their ratings from California policy holders are high.

Also, you probably already know you will receive a lower quote if you bundle home and auto.

7. BZM3

BZM3 Member

bait and switch baby. you get what you pay for. move to a more sophisticated insurer.

8. DSDS

DSDS Member

That’s for one car, I know, sounds insane. I checked Mercury but they appear to not even have Tesla in their drop down menu. Did you call them directly for a quote?

9. tvad

tvad Member

I contacted my independent insurance agent.

As an alternative, you could call Mercury directly rather than using the online quote tool.

10. DSDS

DSDS Member

Cheers, I will give them a call and see what’s their offer

11. DSDS

DSDS Member

I am a AndrewsFCU member since I financed my model3 though them and they offer insurance through TruStage. I never heard of them but it seems they partner with liberty mutual insurances