Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geico Proof of Insurance for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am gonna be adding my car to my Geico insurance and was wondering how many days before taking delivery are people adding their Tesla to their insurance? Geico told me that they start charging premium for the car starting the day it is added to the policy even tho the car has not been delivered yet. I want to avoid having to pay extra in insurance for the time before I even have the car.

Also, what from Geico did people submit as proof of insurance? I'm not sure what I can submit that would have the VIN number of the car and that I would be able to get in time for delivery of my car (1.5 to 2.5 weeks from now).

I am gonna be adding my car to my Geico insurance and was wondering how many days before taking delivery are people adding their Tesla to their insurance? Geico told me that they start charging premium for the car starting the day it is added to the policy even tho the car has not been delivered yet. I want to avoid having to pay extra in insurance for the time before I even have the car.

Also, what from Geico did people submit as proof of insurance? I'm not sure what I can submit that would have the VIN number of the car and that I would be able to get in time for delivery of my car (1.5 to 2.5 weeks from now).

Hey bdhaduk,

Once i received VIN, i added the vehicle to my Geico policy and was able to set the coverage start date to match my delivery appointment, which is a future date. If your delivery date changes, you can contact Geico support to have them set the new date. I got my insurance ID card and submitted that to Tesla. Why pay for coverage without the car?

Hey bdhaduk,

Once i received VIN, i added the vehicle to my Geico policy and was able to set the coverage start date to match my delivery appointment, which is a future date. If your delivery date changes, you can contact Geico support to have them set the new date. I got my insurance ID card and submitted that to Tesla. Why pay for coverage without the car?

I believe he's saying, by adding the vehicle to the policy, his insurance is requesting a form of payment today. He doesn't want to pay for the higher insurance costs prior to receiving the vehicle.

Reactions: bdhaduk

I'm in Texas. I'm taking delivery on 3/18. According to my SA, the need proof of coverage a minimum of 2 days before delivery so that they can complete the temporary permit application. Texas requires proof of insurance to get the 30 day temp tags.

Reactions: bdhaduk

I also have Geico and I just added my Tesla with a start date of 4/5, which is also the first day of my EDD. I'm on a 6mo auto pay and it appears I won't pay my increased rate until 4/8- my next upcoming autopay. You should be good 👍

Reactions: CapsEngineer

In most states your new car is covered for X number of days by your current insurer before you have to put it on a policy.

Showing you have coverage on your other cars is proof of insurance.