Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gemini black wheel covers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a gray MYP that I switched to 19" gemini wheels on delivery due to the harsh ride of the 21" uberturbines. Only downside of the 19" gemini is that they're funky looking, so I removed the aero covers to ride with just the plain alloy spokes. Only problem is the silver alloy doesn't quite match the rest of the car's exterior. I saw a couple of black gemini wheel covers on Aliexpress to cover the silver spokes...just wondering if you guys have experience with them and whether they're usable.

I realize I can plastidip the wheels, but I am looking for a more permanent product and not something that I have to respray every so often...not to mention the time to prep and spray, where free time is in short supply due to a newborn in the family.

Not my car but a similar pic I found:
1661283278701.png

Did you need to get some foam strips to pad the cover against the wheel itself? I see some vendors offer the foam strip with the product.
Yes, the foam strips were actually better than the ones I got from Rimetrix. About 10cm longer on each strip and slightly wider. The caps had metal clips integrated within the cap to snap on like OEM vs Rimetrix that did not. One last thing to note, the seller provides both sets of matte black or black w/silver T Tesla Center cap that sticks similar to ones you'd find on Amazon or Etsy. Rimetrix makes you use their center cap which is actually a locking cap you need to remove each time you want to remove the hubs from the car for tire rotation. The Ali ones you just have to pull off with some force and no removing the center cap since it's integrated like the OEM Geminis.

Very high quality wheel covers and I may get another set for the wife's car.

Reactions: CyanideDN
Yes, the foam strips were actually better than the ones I got from Rimetrix. About 10cm longer on each strip and slightly wider. The caps had metal clips integrated within the cap to snap on like OEM vs Rimetrix that did not. One last thing to note, the seller provides both sets of matte black or black w/silver T Tesla Center cap that sticks similar to ones you'd find on Amazon or Etsy. Rimetrix makes you use their center cap which is actually a locking cap you need to remove each time you want to remove the hubs from the car for tire rotation. The Ali ones you just have to pull off with some force and no removing the center cap since it's integrated like the OEM Geminis.

Very high quality wheel covers and I may get another set for the wife's car.

I actually ended up buying a different looking set of covers (looks more like the induction wheels than the uberturbine) but it doesn't come with the foam strips. Is this necessary or can I make my own foam strip for the cover from somewhere else?

On a side note, the irony of having 21" uberturbines stock with my MYP and now spending money to buy wheel covers to make the 19" gemini look like uberturbines is too funny...the wife would not approve of this purchase but at least I made money flipping the 21" for 19".

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
I plastidip'ed and haven't had to touch them yet, been little over a year and 21k miles, about 1/4 on long highway roadtrips. The front bumper is in worse shape with scratches and dents from road debris than the rims. Now that I think about it, I should plastidip the bumper...?

• Informative
Reactions: Daekwan
I've used plasti-dip several times on vehicles and in each case it lasted for years without any intervention required. With one exception - one of the "blaze" colors, purchased on a whim, faded badly in the sun.

I ordered from Yikun hubcap store in August. It is October and i still do not have them. I would caution others about this vendor.

I ordered from the TSL Model3 Y Store and they sent me the wrong covers (I got the 18in Model 3 covers, not the ones I ordered for the Y) and they fought my refund effort, but AliExpress eventually intervened and refunded the money.

I ordered from Yikun hubcap store in August. It is October and i still do not have them. I would caution others about this vendor.
I ordered these in late August and they just came last week. Best upgrade I’ve made.

4PCS for Tesla Model Y 19 Inch Hub Cap Performance Car Replacement Wheel Cap Automobile Hubcaps Full Cover Accessories 2018-2022 (Matte Black) Amazon.com

Attachments

• D4AC897E-6645-459C-AD32-AC4CDC2CE036.jpeg
    D4AC897E-6645-459C-AD32-AC4CDC2CE036.jpeg
    405.3 KB · Views: 1,247
Last edited: