Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gemini wheel cover gone??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a short drive in a rainy night I suddenly noticed the gemini wheel cover of my front right wheel was gone. No idea what happened and where it went. The quality of Tesla really sucks.

Did anyone see this before? Where can I get a new one?
Same thing happened to me earlier this week. I don’t think it’s a quality issue. The aero covers stay on securely at freeway speeds. However, we had 5 inches of rain in a 24HR period with flooded road shoulders and six lanes of road washed out. It was the force of water that pushed my aero cover off. I simply made a service appointment through the app, explained the situation, and the Service Center is replacing my lost aero cover free of charge.

84FA02B5-A33C-467D-B4E7-223890AA5A1D.jpeg

Same thing happened to me earlier this week. I don’t think it’s a quality issue. The aero covers stay on securely at freeway speeds. However, we had 5 inches of rain in a 24HR period with flooded road shoulders and six lanes of road washed out. It was the force of water that pushed my aero cover off. I simply made a service appointment through the app, explained the situation, and the Service Center is replacing my lost aero cover free of charge.

View attachment 727020
Good to know! I also made a service request. Thank you!

Reactions: ArtK
Yes, some prefer the look without aero covers and buy some center caps. Removing aero covers will reduce range a little bit.
I've had them off since day 7. Can't tell anything about range. Friend of mine was an engineer at Tesla for 12 years. His are off too. Says the hit is "negligible" (engineering speak, I know, hard to understand for the unwashed).

Seriously, when do you really need that last 3 miles? You're still stopping at the same Supercharger, or charging it up overnight. You won't know the difference, except your wheels look like a mid 90's Kia entry level. (My opinion! do whatever you like better)

ETA: joke's on me though. I should have left them on: pulled up to a curb buried in fall leaves, rashed 3/4 of the front right wheel. So yeah, broken in.

I've had them off since day 7. Can't tell anything about range. Friend of mine was an engineer at Tesla for 12 years. His are off too. Says the hit is "negligible" (engineering speak, I know, hard to understand for the unwashed).

Seriously, when do you really need that last 3 miles? You're still stopping at the same Supercharger, or charging it up overnight. You won't know the difference, except your wheels look like a mid 90's Kia entry level. (My opinion! do whatever you like better)

ETA: joke's on me though. I should have left them on: pulled up to a curb buried in fall leaves, rashed 3/4 of the front right wheel. So yeah, broken in.
Dang, sorry to hear about the curb rash. Although the aeros are a little unsightly, I did like that they were sacrificial protection for the real wheels. But what's the point of protecting something if you're never going to see them, right? The covers don't protect the very edge anyways and I'm already mentally prepared for when my wife (or it could be me too) will rash the wheels someday.

I decided to take off the three remaining aero covers to test the range difference until Tesla replaces my lost cover in a few weeks. I am at 4000 miles and agree, in daily use I don't expect to see much difference with vs without the aero covers. I like the look better without the aeros and will probably only put the covers back on for roadtrips. Perusing some Youtube videos, the aeros are up to 6-7% more efficient at highway speeds. This translates to 15-20 miles of range on a full charge. I had my Model S down to 4% and even 1% on a couple of road trips so the extra buffer provided by the aeros is welcomed on longer trips.

This is only a 10-mile test but still shows some benefit with the aeros at 70 MPH,

Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 9.13.48 AM.png

For 7%, I love the car without them. Especially the white colored car. For 7%, it makes more sense to slow down if I need to squeeze the extra distance. Like someone else mentioned, the extra 10 miles won’t get you to a different super charger. Routes still maintain the same in general due to the distance. It’s merely for bragging rights about having the longest range on the market.