Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gemini Wheel Cover Service Hack Advice Wanted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, I'm looking for some advice on dealing with service. One of my wheels has rattled since my delivery in Oct 2022. I moved all the covers around and it's always the same wheel and whatever cover is on that wheel it is noticeably looser than the others. I took it into to service and they agreed there's something different about that wheel but can't identify it, said all wheels are in spec per their measurements, and put some foam tape on one wheel cover to help it fit snugger on that wheel. Also told me I just need to make sure that cover is always on that wheel. That's extremely disappointing hack for a brand new "luxury" car.

So today I was looking for something to use as a go, no-go gauge, and found a tool that slips easily between the spokes on that wheel but not the others. So I've confirmed one wheel is physically different than the others. I'm sure the service center will tell me they're all "in spec", whatever that is...

Should I keep pushing this? Or is this the poor Tesla quality everyone's always talking about and I need to get over it? Is there a way to escalate above the local service center to get that wheel replaced?

Otherwise, LOVE the Y.

Attachments

• IMG_0889.jpg
    IMG_0889.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0893.jpg
    IMG_0893.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 44
I would push it. There could have been a lot of reasons that one wheel is different - the 3rd party manufacturer changed, they refreshed the molds, manufacturing defect, "in spec" but at the edge, etc. But, if you can show that difference to the SC and they all agree that it is the root cause of the rattling, you might be able to get them to replace the wheel.

Reactions: rhk109