Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold Gen 1 40AMP mobile charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool I didn't know you were a Tesla owner too. We've chatted a bit on reenlist (997 GT3 owner), you actually loaned me a scan tool.

Do you know what amp breaker you need to run this higher power gen 1 mobile charger? I had a 50 amp breaker installed for my NEMA 14-50, wondering if I can use this to get a faster charge w/o redoing my breakers etc.

Cool I didn't know you were a Tesla owner too. We've chatted a bit on reenlist (997 GT3 owner), you actually loaned me a scan tool.

Do you know what amp breaker you need to run this higher power gen 1 mobile charger? I had a 50 amp breaker installed for my NEMA 14-50, wondering if I can use this to get a faster charge w/o redoing my breakers etc.
I'm not the OP but yeah, you would want to run this off of a 50A breaker to get the maximum of 40A since 50A x 80% (margin of safety) is 40A.

Haha yeah, I recall the username. Small world!

I'm not the OP but yeah, you would want to run this off of a 50A breaker to get the maximum of 40A since 50A x 80% (margin of safety) is 40A.
^ 100% correct, thanks

Reactions: CosmosMpower
Any idea on miles charged per hour with this 40A vs the 32A gen 2?

Generally 40a is 36-37 miles/hour, and 32a is 29-30 miles/hour, you know, with probably some tiny amount of efficiency variation. And as always, continuous power means you should use 80% of the spec'd rate for the circuit (so 40a EVSE on a 50a circuit, etc.), so you'd be GTG at 40a with the correct N14-50 adapter :)

Reactions: CosmosMpower
Generally 40a is 36-37 miles/hour, and 32a is 29-30 miles/hour, you know, with probably some tiny amount of efficiency variation. And as always, continuous power means you should use 80% of the spec'd rate for the circuit (so 40a EVSE on a 50a circuit, etc.), so you'd be GTG at 40a with the correct N14-50 adapter :)
I wish I got 36-37mph out of 40A @ 240v.

40A @ 240v is going to get you 29-30mph. 32A @ 240v will be more like 22mph.

I'm getting 36 miles/hour out of 40a @ 240v literally as I type this. If you're not, something else is up :)

Edit to clarify equipment: 50a circuit using an N6-50 receptacle, and a 40a Grizzl-E EVSE, with a J1772 connector + Tesla adapter :cool:

Last edited:
So I bought this charger. Just realizing my setup may bit be sufficient to run it at 40A?

I have a NEMA 14-50 on a 50A breaker with 6AWG copper just below my breaker box. I think technically you can go up to 80% of the breakers amperage so 50A should be able to do 40A but is 6 AWG sufficient?

6-gauge is plenty, it's actually rated a touch higher and you'll be pulling a max of 40a (there are length considerations but that's for really long runs, not like your setup). That's our setup, 6 AWG less than 2' from the box, but with a N6-50 (50a spec) receptacle.

So you should get some of that tasty 35-37 miles/hour charging speed :D Tesla specs the 40a at 37, but I've never hit that with ours, it never exceeds 36, probably some slight efficiency with the charger and/or using an adapter.

FYI, the typical receptacle/outlet part used isn't designed for a lot of insertions, like plugging/unplugging it every day, like if you wanted to take it with you 7 days a week. I think some people are a little excessive in their concern about this, i.e., several times a year (like for a few road trips) is a non-issue, but figured I'd mention it. There are industrial grade outlets that are designed for constant plugging/unplugging, like the kind you'd find in an RV park where the 14-50 is commonly in use, but again, generally not a typical use case.

The mile of range added per charge depends on the vehicle, so you're both right:

1644586484440.png

Status
Not open for further replies.