Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The latest TMC Podcast (#17) is now available on YouTube and all major podcast networks. We covered EV Tax Credit 2.0, Model Y & 3 Gangbuster Sales, Low Model X Demand, and California FSD Drama.

Gen 1 charger- plugged in vs direct wired

I have a nema 14-50 outlet that I’ve been charging my car with the Tesla mobile adaptor. I have a Tesla wall charger (model 1) that is mounted in a garage I no longer use. I’d like to move it to my new garage. I can take down the nema 14-50 outlet and directly wire the wall charger but I was wondering if I could just purchase a dryer or kitchen range cable with plug rated 50 amps and wire to the charger and plug the other end into the existing nema 14-50 outlet

ATPMSD

Mar 12, 2021
Atlanta, GA
I don’t really see why you would not just hardwire it. Adding a cord with a 14-50 plug just adds cost and complexity, and you would not be setting it up as specified in the manual. Another issue with the 14-50 outlet option is the breaker. Code requires a GFIC breaker on a 14-50 outlet, but the wall connector does not require one, so this can create a conflict. Use a GFIC breaker and you may have problems, don’t use one and you are not code compliant.

I appreciate the outlet may have been installed before the GFIC breaker was required, but there is a reason the requirement was added.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC