Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 1 charger- plugged in vs direct wired

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a nema 14-50 outlet that I’ve been charging my car with the Tesla mobile adaptor. I have a Tesla wall charger (model 1) that is mounted in a garage I no longer use. I’d like to move it to my new garage. I can take down the nema 14-50 outlet and directly wire the wall charger but I was wondering if I could just purchase a dryer or kitchen range cable with plug rated 50 amps and wire to the charger and plug the other end into the existing nema 14-50 outlet

I don’t really see why you would not just hardwire it. Adding a cord with a 14-50 plug just adds cost and complexity, and you would not be setting it up as specified in the manual. Another issue with the 14-50 outlet option is the breaker. Code requires a GFIC breaker on a 14-50 outlet, but the wall connector does not require one, so this can create a conflict. Use a GFIC breaker and you may have problems, don’t use one and you are not code compliant.

I appreciate the outlet may have been installed before the GFIC breaker was required, but there is a reason the requirement was added.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0