Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 1 Chargers - Does the Charger Button Open the Charge Port?

Marcust99

Apr 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
So I've been looking at EBAY to try to secure a 40amp Gen 1 charger so I can charge at 40 amps without having to
pay $525 from Tesla. A couple of them that I've looked at now say "charge button does not open the charge port door".

Would this be specific to those 2 units, or did all gen 1 chargers not open from the button?

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
A couple of them that I've looked at now say "charge button does not open the charge port door".

Would this be specific to those 2 units, or did all gen 1 chargers not open from the button?
That functionality has always been there. I think that is just people saying that the transmitter in the handle has broken and doesn't work anymore to send the opening signal.

Reactions: Marcust99

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC