Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 1 Charging Cable Stopped Working/Trips Breaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, I have used a Generation 1 Tesla charging cable since 2015 (2015 Model S) with 14-50 plug. Now my car is 2021 Y but I still use the old Gen 1 cable. Never had an issue. After last car software upgrade, the cable which never gets disconnected or moved started tripping the electrical panel breaker. In the car, it shows set to charge at 48 Amps but I always have the car set to charge at 35-38 Amps. I used a SC today so I know the car takes a charge. I believe the breaker is 50 amp. Unsure if my cable has gone bad or does the car revert to calling for a 48 amp charge and that trips it each time? Has anyone experienced a similar issue. In addition, I broke out the charging cable that came with the '21 Y and found it needs the 14-50 connection, which I presume new cars do not come with. The Telsa store is out of stock of that cable.

I’d start at the wall. Don’t want a fire starting in there. I believe I have read on TMC somewhere that sometimes the inside wall wiring to the outlet (14-50 in your case) can get loose over time (thinking maybe due to heating of wires and connectors over time?) and should be checked, so it might be a problem at the wall.

Who is the manufacturer of your outlet? Some 14-50s are not as sturdy for this use. We had our electrician replace our Leviton 14-50 with a Hubbell. There’s a thread some where here about a near fire in someone’s wall (scorched wires) and the topic at length talked about the cause and also quality of the outlet for charging purposes.

Last edited:
Don’t have the time to look through the thread but it might have been this one or at least provide info you might need to consider.

Hi All, I have used a Generation 1 Tesla charging cable since 2015 (2015 Model S) with 14-50 plug. Now my car is 2021 Y but I still use the old Gen 1 cable. Never had an issue. After last car software upgrade, the cable which never gets disconnected or moved started tripping the electrical panel breaker. In the car, it shows set to charge at 48 Amps but I always have the car set to charge at 35-38 Amps. I used a SC today so I know the car takes a charge. I believe the breaker is 50 amp. Unsure if my cable has gone bad or does the car revert to calling for a 48 amp charge and that trips it each time? Has anyone experienced a similar issue. In addition, I broke out the charging cable that came with the '21 Y and found it needs the 14-50 connection, which I presume new cars do not come with. The Telsa store is out of stock of that cable.
I had one of my Gen 1's go bad a month ago. I used the reset button-no luck. Then I unplugged it for a few days, and tried the reset button again. It is working fine. What color is the light in the UMC charger?
The older charger goes up to 40 AMPS, while the newer one only chargers to 32 Amps.
The car saying 48 Amps is just until you plug in, it will adjust to the charger.

I had one of my Gen 1's go bad a month ago. I used the reset button-no luck. Then I unplugged it for a few days, and tried the reset button again. It is working fine. What color is the light in the UMC charger?
The older charger goes up to 40 AMPS, while the newer one only chargers to 32 Amps.
The car saying 48 Amps is just until you plug in, it will adjust to the charger.
I get no light on the UMC charger, keeps tripping breakers. Does the reset button need to be pressed with power present to work? Or is reset button more mechanical than electronic?

I get no light on the UMC charger, keeps tripping breakers. Does the reset button need to be pressed with power present to work? Or is reset button more mechanical than electronic?
Unplug the Mobile Connector from the vehicle and press the RESET button. Plug the Mobile Connector back into the vehicle. If the error persists, unplug the Mobile Connector from both the vehicle and the power outlet, then plug it back in.