Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 1 HPWC not working for parts in SoCal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody interested in my "dead" gen 1 High Power Wall Connector with a perfectly working cable? It simply stopped working (no power lights) about a month ago so I replaced it with a new gen2 Wall Connector. I used it to charge our 2015 MS P85D with dual 40A chargers for ~ 40,000 miles at 60A / 240V installed on a 100A circuit by Tesla's recommended licensed electrician 6 years ago. I'd love to sell it for parts to someone who can troubleshoot and repair it... or who can harvest the charge cable which was working fine when I decommissioned this HPWC.

Prefer local pickup at our home in Newport Coast, CA 92657 since boxing it up and shipping is a PITA and expen$ive.

CD54D667-8FE9-4A10-B341-C3ADEDE0E0A5_1_201_a.jpeg62992C9B-A394-446D-9AE0-D5312BC119B3_1_201_a.jpeg86E8DA85-FF76-4866-BA1B-A1C2975FC825_1_201_a.jpeg4B547933-21C1-4469-AC09-802F2431E341_1_201_a.jpeg

Reactions: FlatSix911
I know this might sound like a dumb suggestion...but when I got my P85D+ in 2017, it came with a well used Gen1 HPWC. I hooked it up... and nothing. No lights, no sign of life, nothing. So I left it on the floor and just used my UMC for a few weeks. Then I was in my garage trying to diagnose the problem when I pushed the button on the HPWC handle, and my charge port popped open! But still no lights on the front panel. So I popped it into the car and it started charging. So in the end, the HPWC was working normally, just the front panel LEDs were out (and still are). Any chance that's the problem?

I know this might sound like a dumb suggestion...but when I got my P85D+ in 2017, it came with a well used Gen1 HPWC. I hooked it up... and nothing. No lights, no sign of life, nothing. So I left it on the floor and just used my UMC for a few weeks. Then I was in my garage trying to diagnose the problem when I pushed the button on the HPWC handle, and my charge port popped open! But still no lights on the front panel. So I popped it into the car and it started charging. So in the end, the HPWC was working normally, just the front panel LEDs were out (and still are). Any chance that's the problem?
Thanks for the suggestion... but my Gen 1 HPWC stopped charging AND the lights would't come on either so I just replaced it with a Gen 2. Both my Tesla recommended electrician, Tesla HPWC support tech, and I think the circuit board died although there's no visual evidence of it.

If nobody wants my entire HPWC, let me know if you want my HPWC front cover which has the LED lights... which were working perfectly until the charger went dark. The LEDs won't work unless the ribbon cable is plugged into the circuit board. Most installed / Tesla owners forget when they remove the front cover of the HPWC... and break the ribbon cable connector.