Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 1 HPWC with newer Model Xs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My older HPWC has worked with my 2018 Model X 100D for just over a year now. All of a sudden it has started faulting out with the red light on the charge port and on the HPWC when I try to charge the X. I can, however, press the reset on the HPWC and it charges just fine after that.

Since we still have a 2013 Model S I tried charging it with the old HPWC and it works just fine. It also works with my Roadster.

I guess I will use the App to see what Tesla wants me to do.

Can report that 2020 Model X still has this incompatibility issue. Wasn't aware of this before finding myself at my planned hotel with destination chargers during a road trip with no other charging options within range and could not charge. Lowering amp in car, rebooting the car, resetting the charger, resetting the breakers of the chargers, didn't make a difference. The car ended up being towed back to the service center and I was told there's nothing wrong with the car. Before it was towed, I saw a 3, and older X and an early S (old fascia) charged at the destination charger without issue. Really disappointed.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
Can report that 2020 Model X still has this incompatibility issue. Wasn't aware of this before finding myself at my planned hotel with destination chargers during a road trip with no other charging options within range and could not charge. Lowering amp in car, rebooting the car, resetting the charger, resetting the breakers of the chargers, didn't make a difference. The car ended up being towed back to the service center and I was told there's nothing wrong with the car. Before it was towed, I saw a 3, and older X and an early S (old fascia) charged at the destination charger without issue. Really disappointed.
Good to know. I'm replacing my X soon and will have to keep destination charging in mind.. what a mess.

Good to know. I'm replacing my X soon and will have to keep destination charging in mind.. what a mess.
I’m doing a bit more research on this on my own time actually. Reno has around two dozens of destination chargers and I visited about half of them today. Most are gen 1. But if the gen 1 are set to a lower max power (lower than 16 kw), in other words, not using the max amperage gen 1 could use, my model X can charge without issues. But most of the gen 1 I have visited so far are set to max amperage and power, except one at 10 kw and one at 8 kw. Gen 2 has no issues whatsoever.

I also tried pull out the charger, lower the amperage in my car, replug. But at least for me it doesn’t change anything.

My model 3 has charged at some of these 16 kw destination chargers before and never had issues.

• Informative
But if the gen 1 are set to a lower max power (lower than 16 kw), in other words, not using the max amperage gen 1 could use, my model X can charge without issues. But most of the gen 1 I have visited so far are set to max amperage and power, except one at 10 kw and one at 8 kw. Gen 2 has no issues whatsoever.
So just to be clear - are you saying that only 80A enabled HPWC gen 1 are affected? I seem to run into more 40A ones in my travels. Or are you saying that the DIP switches inside the HPWC have to be set to a value lower than the circuit can handle?

Perhaps if the breaker is accessible, one could consider a temporary tamper (tamperary?) in this way, returning it after charging. I mean, in a pinch.
Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 7.10.11 AM.png

So just to be clear - are you saying that only 80A enabled HPWC gen 1 are affected? I seem to run into more 40A ones in my travels. Or are you saying that the DIP switches inside the HPWC have to be set to a value lower than the circuit can handle?

Perhaps if the breaker is accessible, one could consider a temporary tamper (tamperary?) in this way, returning it after charging. I mean, in a pinch.
View attachment 567081
That is my theory. However I didn't really check the DIP switches (didn't know how to check yesterday). I relied on the information on Tesla's map, where you can tap a destination charger and it shows "up to x kw". All the gen 1 16 kw (there was a gen 2 16 kw I could use) are not usable but gen 1 with lower power can be used. I checked the parts number on the charger to make sure I'm not confusing them with the gen 2 which has similar power output.

Regarding the tamperary, the power to the chargers need to be turned off before changing the DIP switches. I think this requires you to have access to the breakers that are linked to the chargers? I'm not sure the property owner will be comfortable to let you turn the breaker off and fiddle with the charger...

Last edited:

View attachment 567081
The plot thickens...

Today I completed my visit to all destination chargers in Reno-Sparks area that do not have restricted access. Gen 2 at whatever power still work. Gen 1 with lower rated power on the Tesla map still work. But I encountered just one Gen 1 charger rated 16 kw and it worked with my car. Very strange... Maybe the DIP switches were actually set at a lower amperage but somehow it was reported at a higher amperage? I cannot check it myself as I didn't bring a screwdriver to take off the face plate.

• Informative
Gen 1 with lower rated power on the Tesla map still work. But I encountered just one Gen 1 charger rated 16 kw and it worked with my car. Very strange... Maybe the DIP switches were actually set at a lower amperage but somehow it was reported at a higher amperage?
Did your car report a 16kW charge rate while you were charging? If so, I have to believe that you were getting it.