Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 1 to Gen 2 Seat upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody have any luck upgrading their Gen 1 front seats to Gen 2? I have an early VIN car with Gen 1 seats. The Gen 2 seats are much more comfortable. I asked Service but they don't have a procedure to upgrade the seats.

I've been told the Gen 2 seats have different controllers. Does anyone know if you need any software configuration installing Gen 2 seats in a Gen 1 car? I know it's technically possible. Tesla Raj had Service upgrade his seats when his Gen 1 seats were defective. Just not sure if I buy a set of Gen 2 seats off a junked car that I'll be able to install them in my car without access to the software.

Thanks,

Gen 1 and gen 2 are interchangable, it just requires a firmware update.
I actually went the other way, gen 2 to gen 1. The Gen 2 seats are pretty narrow for my large bottom and it was putting pressure in my left hip.
The gen 1 seats are much more comfortable to me, but less supportive for tight turns.

I actually went the other way, gen 2 to gen 1. The Gen 2 seats are pretty narrow for my large bottom and it was putting pressure in my left hip.
The gen 1 seats are much more comfortable to me, but less supportive for tight turns.

So it's just a setting and not actual material?

How did you update the firmware? Do you still have your Gen 2 seats? I'm trying to locate a pair.

Gen 2 seats are just redesigns they introduced around VIN 14k. I have a strange combination of both in the front: Upper seat is Gen2 but the bottom is still Gen1. Back seats were bolstered a bit more with Gen2 as well.

P.S. The FW update comment was a joke (ok, I *thought* it was a joke; clearly someone has had experience to the contrary). :)

Last edited:
I don't understand your question. The GEN 1 and GEN 2 seats both are physically and electrically interchangeable, though there is a software update needed. Tesla sent this update to me with a normal update, so I didn't have to do anything.

I traded my Gen 2 for Gen 1 so I don't have them any longer.

Ok, so Tesla did the swap? My problem then is if I were to get Gen 2 seats off of a Junked car, I'd need Tesla's help in updating the firmware. I've asked Service about paying for the upgrade but they said they don't have a procedure for that at the moment.

Ok, so Tesla did the swap? My problem then is if I were to get Gen 2 seats off of a Junked car, I'd need Tesla's help in updating the firmware. I've asked Service about paying for the upgrade but they said they don't have a procedure for that at the moment.

My process was this: I did nothing and Tesla fixed it.

One other user here traded me his seats, as his car was a lemon buyback, and he had to return it to stock after installing the tsportline seat cover kit. So he traded me his Gen 1 seats with black leather for my Gen 2 stock seats. He went to the service center with no appointment and just asked them to help him out. They were able to push the new firmware within 10 minutes.

For myself I was too busy to make it to service, and my car had an error message telling me to see Tesla service for a software update. I ignored it for a few weeks and when the next widespread software update came out for installation, the message went away.