Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 1 UMC charging cable gives orange "charger not plugged in" error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so I purchased 2 Gen 1 charging cables for dirt cheap off of eBay that were listed untested "for parts". Being a betting man I saw no reason why these wouldn't work and figured the seller likely didn't have any adapters. Well, one cable works perfectly. The other cable I keep getting a charging error blinking orange and the 5 red blinks in red confirm what the screen tells me "charger not plugged in fully". I have tried everything i can think of. Obviously, i know how to put in the charger since the other cable works fine. I've pushed up, down, unplugged, reset done everything i can think of and can't get this thing working. I've not gotten it to charge green one time. Any idea on something i can try or how i can fix this cable? I'm using the NEMA 14-50 adapter.

Granted, I'm already ahead with one of the cables working but I'd really like to get this other cable working.

Heh, well, if it were the issue I seem to have the gift for diagnosing, you can tell that the cable physically won't go all the way in. That doesn't sound like the issue here, but seems more like the car isn't detecting it.

thought i had it set to get notified if there were replies, guess not...

@Rocky_H well you are correct once again my friend. I haven't been on the forum all week and start reading the replies at near 3AM here. This was after ordering a normal 120v adapter which also gave the same error.

I can see a black on the left connector. there is definitely a small piece of plastic in there. After seeing someone used a needle and having never sewn in my life I decide i'm going to drive to Wal mart at close to 3AM because my mind won't let me go to sleep knowing this problem is fixable now.

Well, this bastard is impossible. the needles aren't working. tweezers, paper clips. it is so small and perfectly around the connector. not a thick piece of plastic at all just a perfect fit that broke off in a microscopic piece that goes the entire way around the connector.

I've only messed with it a half hour since coming back but I have no idea how i'm going to get this out. I've pressed really hard on the needle too and can't get it to grab. If i turn the connector upside down and shake I can get the plastic piece half way down you can even hear it moving but I haven't been able to get anywhere trying to move it up the connector to get it out.

Now I'm just too tired, going to have to try tomorrow. This is going to drive me insane but at least I know the problem now!

If anyone has any suggestions let me know. Are there super small tweezers I can buy maybe? a sharper needle? I have no idea this is going to be tough.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I think there's a chance this could work; maybe someone should say why it could be a bad idea though.

Hold a small enough drill bit with needle nose pliers. Heat the bit with a lighter or suitable flame. Don't get it too hot the first try, you don't want a circular hole. Press it into the plastic while turning slowly in the direction of the flutes. A quarter turn or even less may be enough to get it to grab. Let it set before trying to pull it out.

After typing that, another idea came to mind that may be safer to try. Put a tiny amount of super glue on something that'll fit, be sure not to get any on the sides (or center peg) of the hole while you work.

Good luck, and let us know what eventually works.

yeah, I am waiting for the kids to go to bed before I can try again. i was thinking of heating up one of these needles to see if i can get it to embed into the plastic to pull it out. it is really hard, i mean in some ways it is like the game operation.

UPDATE - heating up the needle worked! I pulled the piece out on the first try.

but I am so sad it still didn't fix the problem. I am still getting the same error. there may be another piece stuck in the small center hole below the two connectors, this is the only thing i can think of. when I put it into the charger it is still trying to grab it and it isn't latching good. I have 3 UMC's that work now so i'm certain its not the adapter.

very disappointing, I can't believe pulling that piece out didn't fix it.

UPDATE #2 - I can't believe this but there is a microscopic rock lodged at the bottom of the UMC. unreal. how am i going to get this thing out? needles will not work. small screw driver won't work. this thing is beyond wedged in here, i don't even know how it could happen. I need super small tweezers or something. maybe a fish hook or super small needle nose pliers? i doubt they make them that small

Last edited:
SUCCESS!!!!!

I am so happy I finally got this bastard working.

Step 1 - remove plastic with a heated needle plastic.jpg

Step 2 - buy hook and pick set tools.jpg

Step 3 - keep chipping away till you get the rock out
rock.jpg

thanks so much for the amazing tips on this forum for setting me along the right path. another forum's advice by some was to just throw the cable away I should be happy one of the two was working.

Just went through the charge-port-plastic-tip stuck in mobile connector problem. Here are photos for future reference.

Z2qkGcO.jpg

LEFT connector is good. RIGHT connector has the black plastic piece stuck in it.

BJGstym.jpg

You can see that the black plastic broke off the right-side post of my charge port.

dWVvRw5.jpg

Hat pin heated to red-hot with a lighter, pushed into the plastic, left to cool for a few seconds, and then pulled out.