Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 1 UMC got fried?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So there were some power issues at my house when I was on vacation (saw several notices of power off, power on, off, on...), I have a Gen 1 UMC that I leave connected in my garage... Anyway, I plugged the X in when I got back but it wouldn't charge. Turns out the breaker was tripped, flipped the breaker back on but it immediately trips again. Using the Gen 2 UMC it charges fine. So, is the Gen 1 UMC totally toast, or is it possibly the Nema 14-50 adapter? Will tesla test out the charger if I bring it to a service center?

Can't even try that, as soon as you plug the charger in the wall it trips the breaker (not plugged in to the X). I'm assuming something has shorted out, but just wondering if it could possibly be the adapter. I guess I'll take the adapter off, and see if it trips without an adapter on it.
Just wondering if Tesla tests them out, also not sure how the warranty is when you buy one second hand...

...or you could try plugging in a different adapter to wall & UMC, and seeing if it (the UMC) still trips the breaker. If two different adapters (the parts with the metal prongs) both yield same result, then I would give it a .0000001% chance that both happened to be failed, and a 99.0% that the UMC has failed. I leave a little room for alternative causes, such as having a turkey on an electric rotisserie cooking on the same circuit... that accumulates enough current, with your UMC, to trip the breaker.

Tesla claims the onboard chargers are protected from surge protectors.

We've found that isn't the case.

We've had several power issues that have impacted the charging of our S P85.

After a storm, the main charger in our S P85 went out, preventing the vehicle from charging at all - and required replacement.

Later, after another storm, the secondary charger went out (early Model S vehicles had the option for dual 40A chargers), and while the vehicle would still charge at 40A or less, we had the secondary charger replaced under warranty so we'd be able to get the full 80A charge with our Gen 1 HPWC on a 100A circuit.

And then we had the Gen 1 UMC fail - which required a replacement.

After experiencing these issues - we've recently added a surge protector into the breaker panel used for charging our 2017 S and 2018 X.

In the case of a UMC throwing a breaker - try testing this on a different circuit (such as a 110 outlet or another location). Take the UMC to the local Service Center and have them test it. And if you can get access to another UMC, try that with your vehicle.

I switched to using my Gen 2 UMC that I keep in the car on the same circuit, with no issues.

One interesting thing is that I now get 2-3 miles more per charge than when I was using the Gen 1...
On the Gen 1 my 2016 X 90D was consistently 220 miles 90% charge, very occasionally I would see 221 miles.
Using the Gen 2 I've gotten 223 miles on a 90% charge every single charge since I switched.

I'll just take the old charger with me next time I have a service appointment and let them test it out.

You should expect to see some variance in the range being reported after a charge. Tesla battery packs are composed of thousands of individual cells, grouped into bricks, and the reported range is only an estimate of the available charge across all of those cells. A 2 mile difference in reported range is less than 1%, and likely within the margin of error for the estimate.

While that's true, my 90% daily charging using the Gen 1 from January - May of this year with a low of 220 and a high of 221.
Charging with the Gen 2 since May 5th has been 223 every time so far...

It could be a coincidence that the Gen 2 is charging a little higher range, just interesting that so far it's consistently higher...

While that's true, my 90% daily charging using the Gen 1 from January - May of this year with a low of 220 and a high of 221.
Charging with the Gen 2 since May 5th has been 223 every time so far...

It could be a coincidence that the Gen 2 is charging a little higher range, just interesting that so far it's consistently higher...
Or, I have a theory. Were you charging at 40A with the Gen 1 and 32A with the Gen 2? If that's the case, then the Gen 1 charging session would reach the limit and finish faster and then be sitting (draining) for a longer time. The slower 32A Gen 2 charging session takes longer and so when you go out to look at the range, it will have been sitting for less time and had less idle drain, and maybe that is enough to consistently show that 1 rated mile difference.